• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find cheap decent offroad tire

89jeeplaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Any suggestions for a retread company or used tire dealer?

I'm new to the XJ offroad scene, so I don't want to spend $500+ on tires if I can't afford to make time for this new hobby.

I need an offroad tire in the 235 75 15 size. I would prefer used just because it will save me a lot of money. Thanks.

a lot of people seem to like the Maxxis Bighorns. I'm gonna be picking up a set most likely when this current set of 35s i'm running wears out.

I am running a set of 235/75/15 Wal-mart radial mud tires that I got for about $360 out the door. They are the same thing as the old Big "O" Bigfoot mud tire. They are actually pretty decent, and have had only one instance of getting stuck, but when you try to go up a clay hill, after it has been raining for the better part of the week, and add leaves on the ground to the mud, I don't care WHAT tire you have, you are going to have trouble. These tires have held up to a 4 day 'wheeling event, in the mud, rock, etc... and still ride well on the pavement, corner well, and give really good handling/braking in the rain. I am getting ready to buy another set in the 31x10.50 flavor, as I am raising this XJ just a little more.
Just my 0.02 worth, though.

I ran mud kings for three years on our dd cherokee. It's a decent, cheap off road radial. Not as good as swampers or mtr's, but you did say cheap. They did pretty good in the mud.

mrrbby said:
I ran mud kings for three years on our dd cherokee. It's a decent, cheap off road radial. Not as good as swampers or mtr's, but you did say cheap. They did pretty good in the mud.

Thanks for all the info so far......Are the Mud Kings Pep Boy tires???

I'm not sure if pep boys carries them or not, but they are a"value priced" line of tires for a couple of tire shops in my area. I got mine from the Tire warehouse in Burlington, Vt.

Well if you're new to the sport go and not sure if you'll like it or not go with the cheapest set of AT's or MT's you can find. Chances are you'll like off-roading so much you'll wheel it more often, get a lift and another set of tires.

BTW you can run 30x95's or 31x10.5's with no lift but you will have some slight issues with rubbing.

Good Luck

Zoro said:
Well if you're new to the sport go and not sure if you'll like it or not go with the cheapest set of AT's or MT's you can find. Chances are you'll like off-roading so much you'll wheel it more often, get a lift and another set of tires.

BTW you can run 30x95's or 31x10.5's with no lift but you will have some slight issues with rubbing.

Good Luck

Thanks. That's my take on the whole thing, I'm just about positive I'm going to get addicted, that's when I'll go all out. Lift, tires, axles, the whole 9. I just want to play around first.

I check out the local papers and local *on line* for sale sites (especially right after Christmas). I also check out the large tire retailers around. There is always somebody swapping to a bigger tire or better rims. 235/75 R 15 is a pretty common size, for many light trucks and vans.
I picked up a set of 225/70 R 16" Michelins (near new), mounted on 16" TJ alloy rims for $400. I just asked the service manager at a local Jeep dealership, if he had anythig interesting sitting in a corner someplace.
I've also had pretty good luck, checking out the tire places at the beginning of Summer, for traction tires. They like to move the left over winter stock.

Back