• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Underhood Rubbing

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else have this problem? I installed a throttle body spacer and now the air intake has been rubbing against the hood. It's been enough to make me take off the spacer altogether. I dont want to have wasted the money, and I did notice gains with it installed, so I'd like to keep it if possible. Any ideas?

What year is your XJ and what spacer did you get?
My Hesco spacer is thick and moves the intake tube right up against the hood, but I haven't had an issue with it in the last three or four years that it's been on there. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you just really need something to worry about, why not secure a thin piece of something (rubber from an innertube or a piece of tubing cut open or whatever) sacrificial on top of the intake tube and your problem will be reduced to worrying about how many years it will be before you need to get a new piece of rubber to glue on there.

OT said:
Dig through the old Folger's can on the work bench and voila.

is.php

something like this but not as ghetto, maybe an actual peice of square tube (sorry OT :D)

What Rd said:
What year is your XJ and what spacer did you get?
My Hesco spacer is thick and moves the intake tube right up against the hood, but I haven't had an issue with it in the last three or four years that it's been on there. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you just really need something to worry about, why not secure a thin piece of something (rubber from an innertube or a piece of tubing cut open or whatever) sacrificial on top of the intake tube and your problem will be reduced to worrying about how many years it will be before you need to get a new piece of rubber to glue on there.
It's a 97 with a 1 inch spacer. lol I didnt really need something to worry about, but it has made its way through the paint and bare metal is starting to show. I can picture it in my mind when it works its way all the way through the hood. Thanks for all the tips!

Back