• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better to run Engine for 1.5 hours at 3k, or keep in OD?

95cherokee33s

NAXJA Forum User
HI, I have a 95 cherokee on 33's, Automotic transmission, stock gears. Is it alright to take it out of overdrive and let the engine run at 3k RPM's for about an hour and a half? I did this last time, much more power and no more shifting up hills, but through a rod through the block. I sucked in water a week before though and it was ticking kinda bad. I am certain this is the problem, but don't want to risk it again, So the question is, keep in OD or not? Thanks

Sorry for the confusion, I now have a "newer" engine. No ticks, motor still has around 100k miles on it. It was so nice when it was out of OD before, much more power, less strain on the tranny. I just don't want to mess the motor up.

How much gas were you giving it when it through the rod through the block? Id assume that if there isnt a lot of load on the engine that it should have too much trouble. But i would say leave it in overdrive and just let it shift when it has to, and if you have the money, regear it.

98stocker said:
but why, once again??? i don't like the extra noise...

x2, i used to run 3.55s on 33s on the highway and it wasnt terrible, it unlocks the TC when necessary and downshifts if need be, but thats what OD is made for, low rpms.

oh, i live in middle/north GA so i have similar hills as you

-Tim

how are you at 3000rpm with 33's and stock gears? i am on 32's and stock gears and at like 65mph i might be at 2500rpm.

you do realize that with your tires your 60mph mark is more like 68mph right, on 32's with my jeep its 66-67mph

oh, and your broken rod is totally due to the water suckage. a hydrolock like that stress fractures the rods because water cannot compress.

I did it for over a year. 33's and 355's, kept the shifter on 3 (not D). It ran about 2600 to 2700 rpm's on the highway. No problems. Of course it was fresh engine. But then I drive 65 anyways, never in a big hurry. It handles like crap at high speeds anyway. Just do it and slow down.

Back