• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Houston, we have an oil problem.

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this has been like this for awhile. 97 XJ.

Oil pan, passenger side control arms, starter, always covered in oil, but there is NEVER a puddle under the jeep, or even signs of anything leaking, and never has been. So i assume this is not something that is happening when the jeep is off or just sitting. everything is so dirty and covered in oil that i have no means of really tracing this effectively. Anyone have any suggestions off the top of their head of what the possible culprit is here? I took some pics:

oil3.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil1.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' at the oil drippin off'n the filter, seems a little high to be the rear main, doesn't it? Maybe the seals on the whosit that the oil filter srews onto? Between the block and the oil filter mount.

I would go ahead and do those (3) oil filter adapter seals, It's cheap and easy to do and should be done on a 10-yr old rig. Could be the rear main though with how much gunk is on the front of the pan.

well i can't speak for every situation, but it looks like it will be rear main seal , oil filter gasket or valve cover gasket, as most likely culprits. i changed my rear main seal a few years ago and it's starting to drip again. some say they can change rear main in a couple of hours? probably depends on amount of lift, had to drop my axle a bit to get the oil pan off, was a real pain. what 's weird about yours is the no visible evidence on the ground. mine would definitely drip on the street.

yeah just fixed the same problem clean it up around the oil filter adaptor and look for leak between block and adaptor with engine running the o ring may be bad you will need a torx 60 bit had to cut it in half 2 make it fit good luck

Air currents under a rig end to throw the oil around... the excessive amount running down to the drain plug is what made me think rear main first. Good that you guys thought of the filter adapters seals.... havn't checked mine in a while.

i would say it is oil filter specific, but there is a Lot of accumulation at the bottom of the oil pan as you can see, and also under the filter. perhaps a combo of a few things? im really not up to speed on whats what in there and whats gonna leak and where it is so excuse my ignorance on the subject

There is oil dripping from the oil filter. No matter what, that would be a logical place to start.
The filter could be leaking from the seal, or the filter adapter "O" rings.
Use break cleaner to dry it, run the engine, check.
Look above the filter in case the head or the valve cover gasket are leaking, look all around and specially at the aft side, use a mirror if you have to.
If all these areas are checked/fixed I'd check the oil pan gasket and purposely last, the rear main seal. Start with the high and easy parts first.

HeavyMetal said:
i would say it is oil filter specific, but there is a Lot of accumulation at the bottom of the oil pan as you can see, and also under the filter. perhaps a combo of a few things? im really not up to speed on whats what in there and whats gonna leak and where it is so excuse my ignorance on the subject

Did you find the prob?

To add one more thing, check your front timing cover. The bolts on mine were loose behind the harmonic balancer and the only reson I found it was because I was replacing the water pump and had the whole front area wide open. This also stopped the mystery quart of oil I was loosing between oil changes too. It also left no puddles or other drips either.

For sure clean the engine though, thats the only way you will spot where the leaks are coming from.

Back