• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another no start

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
unfortunately i can't go through 100's of posts on this subject. i'm going to be unable to be on the computer but for a second and then not again until later. my 89 broke down at safeways and won't start. i've been having problems with the idle for a few months with it running extremely low. like the firsyt peg on the gauge and then sometimes it bucks when you gas it from a stop. tps, is my first thought. would that make it decide to not totally start if it totally crapped out? that is what i'm leaning towards and i want to be able to go to the store, grab a part and put it on at safeway and limp it back home. any suggestions would be helpful.

Depends on whether it's a no gas, no spark, or other condition. You need to explain a bit more. Otherwise we can only throw a parts list at you.

My first toss is the CPS.

i was in a frantic state when this all went down. had it towed home where she belongs :) so now i can take my time and i have all my tools. so it turns over just like it is going to start. gas seems to be fine (i took off the dust cover off a nipple on the fuel rail and had my son turn it over and i pressed it in and gas streamed out). i know not an exact science but gas is there. i just went outside and pulled a plug and had my son turn it over again. no fire. what would be the culprit. i've never changed any sensor besides the o2 and i understand what the cps and tps do for the most part and i'm thinking now that the tps isn't the problem since it doesn't control the spark? so there is more information and this evening i will be able to use the search feature a little more but i can always take more suggestions of what to check out and what i can rule out. thanks.

I'm probably way off base here... but it sounds a lot lot like what my ford did when the voltage regulator went out. It caused the ignition to have all sorts of issues and eventually it killed the coil. Low idle, rough acceleration, eventual no start, but I never seemed to have an issue when I was at higher revs (due, I would guess, to the increased amperage put out by the alternator). It was a gradual loss of curent that caused the symptoms in mine. Whatever you do, don't start with the expensive stuff if you have other possible culprits. Check out the little things and take your time when you check the connections on anything electrical.

Back