• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Engine Skid W/Re's Drop Brackets

2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am now using Rusty's engine skid plate on a 2000 XJ with about 5.5" Re lift. I am planning on putting on Re's drop brackets on my next XJ (2000 or 2001) with same lift. The crossover bracket now mounts to the lower control arm bolts, which is also where the db's mount. Has anyone done this and how did you now mount the skid crossover piece?

you should be fine since the cross over bracket mounts to the outside of the arm pocket. The drop bracket mounts to the inside. Just don't do what I did and ordered the long-arm bracket from rustys, thinking I was going to go to long arms this summer and still have drop brackets, the cross-over bracket is about .5" too wide with the DB upper arm brackets in place. Had to cut and weld.

But...isn't that where the bracket for the upper arm now mounts? That bracket would now be in the way of where the crossover bracket for the skid mounts.

hopefully gonna finish up this today or tomorrow will let you know. The problem I see is that the brackets for the UCA's is supposed to fit on the inside of the LCA bracket and not sure if there will be enough flex in the skidplate bracket to allow this. I'll let you know. John

It may fit fine, but if the skid plate bracket doesn't fit at first, squeeze the hoop that goes around the drive shaft down a bit. I had to do that to get mine on even without the drop brackets, then I believe I had to squeeze it down a bit more when I put the brackets on. (sorry, this is all from memory from doing this on my first XJ 5 years ago)

Try using a hi lift jack and clamping it, or standing the bracket up on end and jumping on the side of the hoop (if it doesn't need to bend far.)

If none of that works ( or you need a large dimension change), you could just cut a small section out of the bracket and re-weld it.

That is what I thought would need to be done.
I have already modified mine some over the years. The corner by the exhaust. Do any of you guys have problems with the driveshaft hitting the corner of the cross piece by the exhaust? I have already cut back that corner, and everytime I get back from offroading I can see where the driveshaft has hit it.

It looked to me that all you would need was longer bolts through the drop bracket. I'm getting ready to do the same thing so this is some good info.

I did not work on it. I looked at it a little closer and I don't think it will be as simple as I thought. Looks like some bending will be required along with the longer bolts.

Not to hijack, but can anyone help me out with the lower contraol arm/clevis portion of the RE drop bracket? There does not seem to be enough space between the drop bracket for the LCA and the clevis to fit. It looks like maybe a 1/16" to 3/32" to skinny. Anyone else run into this? Is there a "jaws of life" type clamp/spreader out there that I can use to give me some more clearance?

Finally got the LCAS and the drop bracket problems to work out. Still have not looked at the engine skid issue. I'm hoping for just a little bending to be the ticket, but.......

Still have not gotton around to looking at this any closer. Maybe this weekend...

Sorry shoulder surgery with multiple complications. Cut 1/4 inch out of the bracket and rewelded and is still snug requiring persuasion with BFH 3 pounder

Back