• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu installation write-up on an 01 (part 1)

dynorockcg

NAXJA Forum User
This is a write-up for the installation of Old Man Emu’s medium duty (2”) lift. It was purchased through Dirk at DPG Off-Road in Rose Hill, Kansas (www.dpgoffroad.com). He gave me great advice along with the info gathered at www.naxja.com. Some products are shipped directly from other companies so they did arrive at different times. The longest shipment time was from OME itself, right at 2 weeks from order date. Other parts came from JKS, DPG themselves, and Rubicon Express. I divided the lift into different sections since I did some disassembly prior to all parts being delivered.

The write-up may seem scattered, but most of the info is here. I was a first-time lift installer and completed it with basic hand tools. I did this write-up simply b/c when I was researching how to install a lift, I had several questions and couldn’t always find answers. I tried to include most sizes of bolts, nuts, allen’s head bolts, and anything else that seemed necessary to complete the installation. I had to make several trips to Sears for a few extra sockets along the way. Hopefully this write-up will result in at least one less trip to Sears/hardware store.
--------------------------------------

As everyone says, spray all nuts and bolts with PB Blaster at least every other day for about a week prior to the lift install. Don’t forget the bolts holding the shocks on under the hood.

-------------------------------
I started with dissembling the front drivers side.

Before:

Loosen the nut on top of the sway bar link (15mm). Once the nut gets close to the end, slow way down. The sway bar link was under pressure since the passenger’s side was on the ground (driver’s side was on jackstands). The nut flew when it was loosened all the way off. I would recommend jacking up the driver’s side of the axle slightly to take some tension off the sway bar link. Once the driver’s side is done, there is no tension when doing the passenger’s side so there is no problem. Remove the bottom nut (18mm) holding the sway bar link onto the stud (stud removal described below).
Loosen the bolt that holds the coil retaining clip in place (13mm wrench). Don’t remove it totally, just loosen it enough to allow it to rotate. I rotated the coil around so it could be removed easier. I read that using the stock bottle jack placed on the control arm/axle area and the frame area above it. It worked great. The coil slid right out.

----------------------------
The shock was difficult to remove. I removed the bottom two bolts at first (13mm). I ended up removing the air filter box (13mm) so I could access the top shock nut (15mm).

It allowed me enough room to squeeze my hand in and turn the nut. At first, the shaft of the shock was spinning. I replaced the bottom two bolts and the spinning continued. I ended up cutting the plastic shroud around the top of the shock and slid it down the shock shaft. I grabbed the top flange of the shock with some pliers. It kept the shock from turning just enough to break the nut loose. I could then continue and remove the shock nut. I removed the bottom two bolts from the shock mount and then the shock could be removed.

-----------------------------
Coil and shock removed. Sway bar link disconnected.

-----------------------------------
I used a pitman arm puller to remove the sway bar link mount stud on the axle.

It is difficult to place correctly, but there is just enough room for the arms of the puller to grab onto the mount. I was able to turn the bolt on the puller slowly with a socket and a breaker bar. I just used the breaker bar so I could stand back in case the puller decided to not stay put. The passenger’s side was more difficult to place since the steering stabilizer mount is right in the same area (no pic), but the puller eventually held and pushed the stud out.

As seen here, the sway bar link mount has been pushed out and the sway bar link is just hand-tightened to stay in place until the disconnects arrive.
--------------------------------
The directions that come with them are very self-explanatory. The JKS disconnects require a 6mm allen wrench. There is a U-bracket that is placed around the end of the sway bar. It should be mounted in such a way that the threaded hole is inboard. A bolt goes through the U-bracket, through the sway bar, and then through the provided washer. The nut can be tightened (10mm).

The bottom stud mount is similar to the stock one that was removed. Tighten the nut (1/2”), slide on the rubber bushing, and that’s it. When using the spring-like pins, ensure that they are placed to they are flat. Adjust the length of the sway bar disconnect links based on the angle of the sway bar, according to the directions from JKS.

I installed the DPG sway bar disconnects cable. Dirk includes directions.
See part 2

Old Man Emu installation write-up on an 01 (part 2)

Continued from part 1
------------------------------
Removing the track bar:

The track bar bracket is located on the driver’s side frame rail. There is a castle nut on the top, which has a cotter pin through it.

Remove the cotter pin with some needle-nose pliers. Remove the castle nut (19mm).

I used a pickle fork from Advance Auto parts (one that you pay for and then return for a full refund; Lend-a-tool). It came with 3 different sizes, but I used the smallest size in the case (11/16”, one designed for a tierod).

I placed the pickle fork between the bracket and the trackbar. I used a regular hammer and the trackbar popped right off. I then removed the axle mount of the trackbar (15mm). The trackbar could then be easily removed. The axle mount nut is held in place with a metal tab.

Installing the new JKS adjustable trackbar was very easy. The instructions from JKS are very detailed.

The trackbar bracket has a tapered hole. The hole needs to be drilled out to a 9/16” regular hole. I removed the bracket (2 bolts on the bottom and 2 bolts on the side of the framerail (18mm bolts). I ended up taking it to a local 4x4 shop (We Do Trucks, www.wedotrucks.com) and they did it for practically nothing.

JKS trackbar bolt head is 7/8” and the provided nut is 13/16”.
New parts!!

Compared to stock coils and leafs:

The front assembly was quick. The front coil slid into place and the front shock was placed in the same location as the stock one. The passenger’s side coil was slightly more difficult to slide in. I used the stock bottle jack to push the axle down so the coil would slide into place.

The OME shocks came with bushings, one for the inner wheel-well and one for inside the engine compartment. The pencil inserted here is just holding the 2 bushings apart. The OME nut provided for the top of the shock is 17mm.
Remove the rear sway bar. There is one mount on each side of the frame. Remove the bolts from the frame. The sway bar mounts to a bracket on top of the leaf spring plate (18mm). There is no need to remove the leaf spring plate to remove the bolt. Once done on both sides, snake it out through the passenger side of your Jeep. I found it much more difficult to remove it through the driver side b/c it kept getting caught on the exhaust.

Axle mount

See part 3

Old Man Emu installation write-up on an 01 (part 3)

Continued from part 2
I loosened the leaf bolts front and back before I took the wheel off and removed the leaf springs.

I have a Hidden Hitch receiver on the rear of my Jeep. This made the rear leaf removal more interesting. The leaf spring bolts on the front and rear leafs were 21mm. A deep-well socket or wrench would be helpful. I am not a fan of adjustable wrenches.

As seen above, the bracket for the receiver hitch it blocking the head of the bolt and also prevents the removal of the bolt once the nut is removed. I was able to remove a bolt from the receiver to get a socket on there, but had to drop the receiver on each side when the bolt was ready to be removed. The wire is from the trailer wiring harness that is hanging since the receiver is not tight. I had the same problem on the passenger side.

Remove the u-bolt nuts (18mm). Once they were semi-loose, I removed them slowly b/c I had read some are under a great deal of pressure. Mine were not but I still loosened them in a diagonal pattern. The inboard u-bolt was more difficult to remove since it was mounted through the rear shock bracket. I tapped it with a hammer and it came out. You can see the rear sway bar bracket on the u-bolt plate.

Once u-bolts gone and the plate off, I lowered the axle that was supported with a floor jack until the axle dropped away from the leafs. Don’t lower it too much and put stress on the brake lines.

Remove the leaf spring bolts and it should drop out. I had to work it slightly to get it out of the wheelwell.
Get new rubber leaf spring bushings from auto parts store (mine were from advance, about $60 for all 4). Biggest one goes in the front eye of the spring. I used all strategies I read on www.naxja.com. I think it all comes down to the slight differences in manufacturing from OME on springs. One set went in very easily and the other was quite a pain. I would recommend seeing how tight of a fit it is going to be. If doesn’t look too bad, then try to use hammer only. If looking very tight, almost impossible, I would use the prying technique learned on naxja. Tap a small screwdriver on each side of the spring wrap to open the whole slightly. Then try to drop in the bushing that has been in the freezer overnight. Be careful and not to disfigure the inner metal sleeve of the bushing. It will make it more difficult for the bolt to go through it later. I probably should have used a piece of wood as a pad. Mine eventually went in. It was not a fast process by any means.

Installing the rear springs was more difficult. I connected the rear of the leaf first, leaving the nut loose (I put the nut inboard this time, opposite from stock, so it could be removed in the future without removing the hitch). I lined-up the spring pin with the hole on the axle (axle supported with jack and jackstand). I used a hammer handle and breaking bar to pull on the shackle toward the front of the vehicle to allow the front leaf spring eye to align with the nut welded in the frame. Once complete, I tightened everything up and installed the U-bolts (which were from Rubicon Express, 3/4”).

The threads on the u-bolts did not go down far enough so I bought some washers to use as a spacer (maybe 1/4” worth of washers).

Here, you can see the washers installed. I left the bracket for the rear swaybar attached, so it allowed me to use less washers on the outboard u-bolt. I left the u-bolts loose and marked about 1/2-3/4” with a Sharpie. I labeled each u-bolt (drive inboard front, passenger outboard rear, etc) and then removed them. I used a hack saw to shorten the u-bolts so there wouldn’t be any problems. You may want to leave more excess if planning to install shims.

----------------------------------
Here I am installing the rear springs.

Centering the front axle is not fun. I tried to get it mostly centered prior to alignment. I was off about 1/8” or so after alignment. I then centered it all the way by measuring from the chasis (near the front coil spring) to the outside lug of the tire. Use the steering wheel to center the axle, then tighten the lock nut on the trackbar. My wife was not home wfor this part, so I used some rope and tied it to my floor jack to hold tension on the wheel. Worked very well.
See part 4

Old Man Emu installation write-up on an 01 (part 4)

Continued from part 3
Rear Before: ground to back quarter molding (26 3/8”)

Rear after: ground to back quarter molding (28 1/2”)

Front Before: ground to front molding (25 5/8”)

Front after: ground to front molding (27 3/8”)

Rear net: 2 1/8”

Front net: 1 3/4”

Before (bad picture):

After (bad picture also, but same perspective):

Hopefully I can get some flex pictures uploaded soon. Hope this has been helpful.

Re: Old Man Emu installation write-up on an 01 (part 4)

Have you driven it around at all? How does it ride compared to stock?

Why did you do it in 4 parts? Put them all together, it will help when people search and also is just easier to read.

I tried putting it all in one but it would only allow me to post 14 pictures per post...for some reason. So I split it up. If a mod can combine them, that would be wonderful.

I am pleased with the ride. It is no worse than a stock ride. In an 01 with stock springs and shocks all around, it is by far better. I was looking for a good ride since it is a daily driver. Others may do better with a less expensive lift, but I wanted others to enjoy riding with me also, ha ha.

Excellent write up! I have the same kit (3" version) from DPG sitting in the garage waiting for installation. We did put bushings (threw $75 for OEM Mopar) into the springs using a ball joint press and it was very easy. I picked up a used set of ACOS so will be using those up front instead of the spacers provided. I'm hoping it will sit level as the 8.8 tubes are an inch or so bigger than the D-35 tubes.

Dynorockcg,

Could you post some pictures if you have them on where you placed the jacks and stands for each phase. I have an OME 2" suspension to put in and I am not quite sure where and how to place the jacks to make it easier on me to do this project. I have read you walk through and you made it look easy and also like it did not take much time to do. Btw, how long did it take you to do front, back, and both sides?

Thanks in advance,
Silent

Back