• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Fluid + Fresh Paint

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
[FONT=&quot]Story:

For a winter project I have been making a custom front bumper. I finally finished it up and started painting it yesterday. 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of black, both rattle can. It turned out really nice afterwards so I put it on a table at the back of the garage to "cure" for 24 hours before I installed it.

Today my not so mechanically inclined brother decided to replace his rear brakes. In the process he took off his wheel cylinders and decided he would squeeze them and see what would happen. Well, brake fluid squirted out of them and misted all over my bumper. I grabbed a rag and tried to sponge it up but the bumper is stained.

Question:

What should I do now as far as putting a new finish on it?
What should I use to wipe it down with to get rid of the brake fluid?
Should I primer it again then add color or can I just add a quick coat of black?

I know brake fluid can be really corrosive to paint especially fresh, so I need some advice from the experts.

TORX
[/FONT]

brake fluid is about the best paint stripper you can find.

clean with brake cleaner
lightly sand
repaint

87manche said:
brake fluid is about the best paint stripper you can find.

clean with brake cleaner
lightly sand
repaint
so I will lightly sand to get through the stains and then wipe down with brake cleaner, prime it and paint it

I didnt expect I would need to sand but it makes sense, the paint is contaminated

Wipe down with brake cleaner before and after sanding that way you will make sure there is no residue left.
Sanding is more for adhesion than getting rid of the discoloration (which is why you lightly sand.

DOT 3 is mostly suger (glycerin sp?), with some esters thrown in.
First aid for Brake fluid spills is lots of water. Warm water and a little dishwashing soap mixed in works, then rinse well, repeat.
Painting over fresh paint can be an iffy thing, especially if the first coats are fairly thick. You may want to let it dry a good long time before trying. Or at least find a spot that doesn't show and try a test patch first.

89Daytona said:
Wipe down with brake cleaner before and after sanding that way you will make sure there is no residue left.
Sanding is more for adhesion than getting rid of the discoloration (which is why you lightly sand.
exactly, sanding is to promote good adhesion.
If you were to spray directly on the smooth finish you'd likely get peeling or orange peel.
so, clean, lightly sand with a fine grit sandpaper, I usually use 3-400 grit for a really nice finish, then clean and paint.
I don't see a problem painting over what you've already done, but I would suggest that you use the same brand and type of paint to keep any bad chemistry fromt happening.

8Mud said:
DOT 3 is mostly suger (glycerin sp?), with some esters thrown in.
Not that its important for this application but.....
DOT 3 brake fluids are mixtures of glycols and glycol ethers, not glycerin.
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

Glycol is an acohol with two hydroxyl groups attached (similar to whats in antifreeze)
Glycerin is a sweet syrupy trihydroxy alcohol (obtained from fats and oils, used to make soap)

I agree with brake cleaner as being the best way to clean the brake fluid off. But with you having used spray paint ( was it a store brand, or was it automotive enamel with hardner put in the can by your local auto paint supplier?) I would expect that the fluid has permeated all the way to the base material. Spray can primers are horribly thin.

Did you make the bumper from glass?

If so did you free form it, make a plug, or make a mold?

Did it lift the paint yet?

I hope you did not hurt him too badly.

You put a lot of work into the bumper, I would like to see what you have done.

Brad

Wow thanks for the replies, I went ahead and sanded down the front and top of the bumper where the brake fluid landed with 400 grit. Wiped it down with brake cleaner before an after. Took the stains right away but also started taking away some of the paint too. I must have wiped it to hard in one spot because there are some marks into the paint. Not to bad, but semi noticable. I suppose I could have sanded it down more to blend it but im not going to be picky.

I put a coat of primer and two coats of black on then gaurded it while it dried. The paint is solid I cant scratch it off and theres no signs of orange peel. I think it will be fine (knock on wood). Rustoleom primer and flat black was what I used.

TORX

Final Product:

2exlkjm.jpg

TORX

89Daytona said:
Not that its important for this application but.....
DOT 3 brake fluids are mixtures of glycols and glycol ethers, not glycerin.
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

Glycol is an acohol with two hydroxyl groups attached (similar to whats in antifreeze)
Glycerin is a sweet syrupy trihydroxy alcohol (obtained from fats and oils, used to make soap)

My bad, it would have been easier for me to say polyglykolether ist hygroskopisch. Or polyglycolether is water absorbant.
It cleans up much like Coca Cola, with maybe a little cooking oil thrown in. I guess you can clean it up with Brake Cleaner, but on fresh paint, hot water and soap may have been safer.

Propal Glycol C3 H8 O2
Glycerol C3 H5 (OH)3
Poly (meaning fatty, like glycerin) Glycolether C7 H16 (whatever) is nearly what DOT 3 is, less a few additives and viscosity stabilizers (esters).

You can clean it up with anything you want, but during my apprenticeship at Raybestos. I cleaned up rather large amounts with hot water and soap.
The properties were always more important than the formula.

Blaine B. said:
He's already done anyway, and it looks fantastic. Don't forget to tell your brother what I said about him :)
I guess I've got a sore spot for anal types, I'm married to one.
If you were to yell, your lag is on fire, they'd want to stop and correct your english, before they went looking for a fire extiquisher. :)

8Mud said:
I guess I've got a sore spot for anal types, I'm married to one.
If you were to yell, your lag is on fire, they'd want to stop and correct your english, before they went looking for a fire extiquisher. :)
I'm not that bad (thank god). I would put the fire out than correct the grammar.

The ability to use hot water and soap to clean up brake fluid is good know though.

Back