• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inverted-T with 3 TRE and 1 heim - safe?

jshwank

NAXJA Forum User
Currently running an inverted-T setup with Chevy 1-ton TRE's. It has worked ok, but there is definitely too much slop in the steering which is obviously from the twisting of the draglink setup. So I have been thinking of swapping it out to an inverted-T setup that uses 3 TRE's for attaching to the knuckles and pitman arm and then a heim joint to connect the draglink to the tierod. This would obviously be held on by two brackets for double shear on the heim. I have enough clearance that I would mount them completely vertical to eliminate potential twisting.

Thing is that I've tried searching but haven't found too much on this setup, only a few pics. So I guess my question is if this is a safe setup for say 75% on road driving? My only concern really would just be the failure of the heim brackets on the tierod, but with some carefully fab, I think it could be made safe.

Anyone have any experience with this exact setup? Even if you're using all heims, I would still be interested in your thoughts!

Thanks!

MGrobe said:
I personally would try this first. You could probably make your own with a little effort. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNSTBSH&Category_Code=S6

That is an interesting idea. Could probably get away with just one at the draglink to tierod TRE as that is where the majority of the twisting takes place. Plus if it doesn't work, I'm only out $5. That is assuming I don't just make some type of spacer.

Thanks for the info!

Still interested in the other setup if this doesn't work though, so please post up...

Sure it will work, and for 100% street or offroad driving. That's how mine is on my D44, but I used all rod ends. There's no way for the rod end to break that connects the drag link to the tie rod, in double shear it's stronger than any TRE setup.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I made the part that the drag link connects to as a seperate piece so I could adjust the toe without having to disconnect the drag link. I later found this nifty double adjuster from QA1, which goes right next to the rod end at the knuckle, so I made the tie rod one piece. The toe is adjusted by turning the double adjuster.

double adjuster

My steering is very positive with this setup.

Goatman said:
Sure it will work, and for 100% street or offroad driving. That's how mine is on my D44, but I used all rod ends. There's no way for the rod end to break that connects the drag link to the tie rod, in double shear it's stronger than any TRE setup.

My steering is very positive with this setup.

Goatman,

Thanks for the pics. Glad to hear you've had positive results with this setup. Think I'm going to do something similar, but maybe with just a one piece tierod. I figure once it's set, hopefully it won't need to be adjusted again.

Thanks!

Here's mine. Similar to what you are thinking of doing. No Issues. Good for on the road and off.
DSC01157.jpg

IntrepidXJ said:
until you bent the tie rod and need to adjust it out again

Yup, its happened to me already. You will have to drop at least one side to adjust in that case.

Back