• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there an way to find a limited slip from a trim level/vin/door or engine bay tag??

Chris_G3

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a limited slip for a Dana 35c in a 90+ Cherokee/Grand Cherokee with 3.55 gears or higher. Of what I have been able to find out about the VIN, there isn't anyway to determine this.

While I have been looking for the axle tags, most are gone. I have been left to doing this "putting them in neutral, e-brake off, jacking up a side and seeing if I can spin a wheel or not" trick. Which this method is working, it doesn't account for the ones with the brakes froze up and the tag is missing. There has to be a easier way, though I have yet to find it.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Is there an way to find a limited slip from a trim level/vin/door or engine bay tag??

KarlVP said:
you can open the differential and take a look-see.

:laugh: On over 20 vehicles....uhhhh, I'll have to pass :laugh:

I am just curious if there is a simple way to tell what the rear diff is vice doing the formentioned deal. Granted, I am already through all the XJ's and YJ's and only have a few ZJ's to deal with. BUT, I'd much rather look at the door jam, firewall, etc. to find out. Like on most the other vehicles I've owned.

Chris

Re: Is there an way to find a limited slip from a trim level/vin/door or engine bay tag??

If you have a build sheet, it might tell you. IIRC, the tag on the axle might tell you. Not for certian on both, but worth a shot.

I'm guessing he's at a junkyard or something.......and not going to get buildsheets for those vehicles.

I can't guarantee this is 100% but it has been in my experience...with Dana 35...

On the passenger side rear of the axle tube is a 5 digit number, a space then a single digit. If the single digit is a 6 it has traction lock.

there is usually a tag on the passenger side axle tube, that mentions L/S and to use additive. If it has ABS 9 chance out of 10 it will be open. If it has factory towhooks, it will have a l/s. A thing to look for is first a full-size spare, after that possibly a factory hitch, then the tag on the axle.

Back