• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25c 29 spline axle ??

Vancity-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
just bought 8.25c 29 spline rear axle
for $120 CDN and got brand new rear shoes with it

its got 3.55 gears and Im planing to get arb locker for it
I have 3.07 gear in my d35 right now and I can get d30
with 3.55 gears from local jeep wrecker for $100
right now Im running 30x9.5 tires

the only thing with axle is
guy says sometimes it make rattling type noise when
turning, so what do you guys think problem is and how much will
it cost

thanks

The rattling noise could be the spider gears missing teeth, if it doesnt have the LSD in it. If it does, the clutches are more and likley slipping. If you want to add an ARB, that may take care of the problem. Replace the brakes, carrier and axle bearings (if the axle bearings appear bad), and more and likley need to set up the gears again. The 8.25 has adjuster nuts for the carrier, so you will need to buy or make a tool for that.

For the front, it would probably be best to just bolt in the front axle with the 3.55's for the cheapest route. That way, you would have spare parts.

Vancity-XJ said:
just bought 8.25c 29 spline rear axle
for $120 CDN and got brand new rear shoes with it

its got 3.55 gears and Im planing to get arb locker for it
I have 3.07 gear in my d35 right now and I can get d30
with 3.55 gears from local jeep wrecker for $100
right now Im running 30x9.5 tires

the only thing with axle is
guy says sometimes it make rattling type noise when
turning, so what do you guys think problem is and how much will
it cost

thanks

Yeah, most likely the limited slip chattering a little. I'd put it in and not worry about it, then see what it does. Many limited slips will have a little noise or chatter when turning tight, at times more noticeable backing up like coming out of a parking space. This is because the clutches have to slip every time one tire rotates more than the other. They can have a small chatter, more a feeling than a noise, simply form being tight and in good working order, or it can happen if not enough friction modifier is in the gear lube, or if it makes more noise it can be because the clutches are bad. More often than not when the clutches are bad it is quiet and the limited slip just doesn't work.

Again, I'd put it in, then see what you have.

Back