• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MODIFIED XJ OVERHEATING

MOOSE JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE DONE MODS LIFT DRIVE LINE ETC ETC.IVE HAD A MODERATEHEAT PROBLEM BUT WHEN I PUT 33X12.50s ON TEMP SORED OVER HALF WAY MARK AND KEEPS ON GOING TO 3/4 MARK HAVE TO TURN ON HEATER TO GET TEMP DOWN.IVE REMOVED THE FLARES AND CUT THE FENDERS AND GOT RID OF PLASTIC PIECES UNDER BUMPER AND INNER PLASTIC FENDER WELLS ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM IVE BOUGHT A 180 T STAT AND NEW RAD CAP STILL RUNNING HOT. IM THINKING OF GETTING A TURBO CITY HIGH FLOW T STAT AND A 3 CORE RADIATOR . WILL THIS HELP

Have you checked your rad coolent... have you power flushed it? Could be that simple...

when you get your rad... make sure it is all copper... 3 or two rows... no cheap plastic ends...

MOOSE JEEP said:
I HAVE DONE MODS LIFT DRIVE LINE ETC ETC.IVE HAD A MODERATEHEAT PROBLEM BUT WHEN I PUT 33X12.50s ON TEMP SORED OVER HALF WAY MARK AND KEEPS ON GOING TO 3/4 MARK HAVE TO TURN ON HEATER TO GET TEMP DOWN.IVE REMOVED THE FLARES AND CUT THE FENDERS AND GOT RID OF PLASTIC PIECES UNDER BUMPER AND INNER PLASTIC FENDER WELLS ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM IVE BOUGHT A 180 T STAT AND NEW RAD CAP STILL RUNNING HOT. IM THINKING OF GETTING A TURBO CITY HIGH FLOW T STAT AND A 3 CORE RADIATOR . WILL THIS HELP

Perhaps you know this, but ALL CAPS IS THE ONLINE EQUIVILENT OF YELLING AND IS RUDE...

Don't spend a penny on your truck until you know the fan clutch is good. If you are not 110% sure it's good, replace it. I spent a lot of money unnecessarily and my problem was actually the fan clutch.

alright, ill help.

first off.. we need to know what year it is.

also, WHEN does the jeep overheat... is it on the highway at high speeds?
or is it at redlights when you're just sitting? is it ALL teh time no matter what?

things that cause overheating are.
pressure caps, cracked overflow bottle (in the closed system)
clogged/old radiator
bad waterpump (often actually blow and spill coolant all over.)
fan clutch, (overheating while sitting)

it is easy to check your fan clutch, just get it up to temp (running hot) what ever the case may be. Turn the engine off, and try to turn the fan. If it turns then the clutch is not engaging. Consider all of the above post as well.

first things first, modified vehicle questions go in Modified tech. Amazingly simple isn't it?
secondly, you provided no information other than "I'VE DONE MODS"
Things to do when asking a question:
post in the right forum
provide the details of your particular XJ
provide the circumstances that the symptom presents under.

Now, if it ran fine with the previous tires and it overheats now with larger tires I must ask the question, have you regeared?
If you're running 33's on stock gears you're killing your trans, it's likely dumping a tremendous amount of heat into a barely adequate cooling system.

What kind of gears and tranny are you running? Reason I ask, is when I had 3.07's with 31's, the engine would 'lug', casuing more heat, especially up hills. I always needed to downshift into 4th, on rare occasions, 3rd, running at high rpm's just to keep up speed. It would get to 230* on damn near every occasion. Once I regeared to 4.56's, no more issues with getting hot. One of my friends, had a plugged cat, which made it over heat also. Got a new cat, wont go past 210*.

Putting stress on the engine from undergearing or lack of exh. flow, could possibly cause the engine to continue to overheat. Have you tried to flush the coolant system? There is a good possibility of gunk and crap plugging certian parts of the system. Have you done a pressure check, to see if it isnt the head gasket or a crack in the block? Is it even leaking anywhere?

Back