• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Binding leaf packs?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for around 5" of lift, and ive been reading that guys that do leaf packs that net more than 3 or 4" of lift usually also add a longer shackle to prevent binding. Am i going to have this problem if i put the RE 4.5" leaf pack on my XJ w/out a longer shackle? I'm getting 2 diff. opinions from two different places selling the kits...one says do the 3.5" kit w/ a 1" longer shackle to net 5" and the other says just do the 4.5" Leaf pack and i'll be set. Whats everyone's take on this? Thanks for any input.

P.S...anyone have any first hand expereince w/ RE's 4.5" coil spring and how much they got after it settled?

JeepXJ93 said:
Looking for around 5" of lift, and ive been reading that guys that do leaf packs that net more than 3 or 4" of lift usually also add a longer shackle to prevent binding. Am i going to have this problem if i put the RE 4.5" leaf pack on my XJ w/out a longer shackle? I'm getting 2 diff. opinions from two different places selling the kits...one says do the 3.5" kit w/ a 1" longer shackle to net 5" and the other says just do the 4.5" Leaf pack and i'll be set. Whats everyone's take on this? Thanks for any input.

P.S...anyone have any first hand expereince w/ RE's 4.5" coil spring and how much they got after it settled?

I say get 3.5" leafs and put a 1" JKS shackle on it. I have 3.5" rustys leafs with that shackle and it flexs/rides very nice, sits at around 5 1/4". In the front I have RE 4.5" coils and they sit a around 5" and ride nice.

-AR

I think you'd be better off going with the taller springs. RE makes quality stuff, and if they sell the kit without longer shackles you will probably be fine. It is good to have a longer shackle, but it probably isn't necessary. You said you're looking for 5" of lift, so if the 4.5" kit doesn't give you what you're after, or if it settles slightly, then you can add the shackles to bring it up a little.

No way I'd go with the 3.5" if you're after 5". A longer shackle only adds half of it's extra length since it's only lifting one end of the springs, so a 1" longer shackle will give 1/2" of lift.

Back