• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter with an attitude problem

asheets934

NAXJA Forum User
89 Waggy Ltd. 4.0, AW4, NP242, 123k

My shifter doesnt like to come out of park. When you press the button, its REALLY hard to press and doesnt disengage the lock that keeps it in park. Looked under the bezel and there is nothing obviously broken or bent. I can also see it moving the little tooth that disengages the park when i press on the button, it just doesnt move enough. I can get it out of park by pressing the little tooth down with a screwdriver (i know, not the best idea but its a DD). This also started after I replaced the broken bezel, but i know the replacment is the right part. Any ideas?

Is it this thing? Mine broke, so i put a screw in the plastic piece and cutt the top off.
shifter002.jpg

Just looked, that part (plastic on mine) looks fine. I put it in 1-2 to pull the handle off, and when i pressed that part down to move it to park, it went with no problem. Then when I pressed it to move it out of park, same problem, hard as all hell to press. This is bad isnt it?

I wonder if the plastic piece that goes thru the handle was severed at the bottom under near the bezel. If that piece is too short then it will be hard as hell to get it to unlock. Very strange.
Can download any pics?

Sounds like you just need to bang the handle back on a little harder. If it's not all the way on, it won't push down far enough on the rod.

asheets934 said:
Just looked, that part (plastic on mine) looks fine. I put it in 1-2 to pull the handle off, and when i pressed that part down to move it to park, it went with no problem. Then when I pressed it to move it out of park, same problem, hard as all hell to press. This is bad isnt it?

Maybe a dumb question, but is your ignition key turned to the run position when you try to move it? The shifter is locked in Park until the key is turned. Actually,it will release a little before the Start position. It's possible there is a problem with the cable that runs from the steering column to the shifter. My kid jammed mine on our Camaro (same column/lock mech.) when he pulled the key out before it was fully turned to off.

Back