• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5pt harnesses dangerous having them w/o a roll cage???

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Would you guys say that having 5 point harnesses with out having a roll cage is dangerous because you will be strapped to the seat in a roll and could not duck if the roof is caving in?

One other thing about having the harness without a cage is that if it is anchored to the floor I believe that in an impact your have the potential to compress your spine, due to the anchor point pulling down vs back or something.

bsr26 said:
One other thing about having the harness without a cage is that if it is anchored to the floor I believe that in an impact your have the potential to compress your spine, due to the anchor point pulling down vs back or something.

only if bolted down directly beneath the seat. if you mount where the back seat belt used to mount then it will be safe because it will not pull down. and a 5 pt harness is grat but do you really need one if you dont have a cage? you should spent your money on the roll cage then seatbelts. trust me save your muney and get the cage first. a stock seat belt and a cage and save your life. no cage and a 5 pt. will kill you (in a mannor of speaking)

Im just asking because I bought some 5 pt. harness capable seats because my other ones were so torn up and im going to install them soon.

My friend knowing I got the seats bought me the harnesses for christmas and wants me to istall them. She said "it has a floor mount kit so you dont have to have a cage right now" But after reading this I will have to do some sort of bar behind the driver and passanger seats. I have the rusty's roll bar mounted in there so maybe I can just add one bar going across the rear of the seats so I can install the harnesses. Yeah?

The shoulder belts must be mounted at shoulder height....mount them to the floor and in a hard crash they will snap your back like a twig. You can fab a bar mount that bolts to the existing belt mounts top and bottom...the shoulder belts bolt to the mount.

The biggest problem is how to attach them securely enough. I would honestly stick with the OEM seat belt over a race harness in a cageless rig.

Okay well thank you very much for the information. Im glad I asked because I was about to start the installation process this coming weekend. Now, I will not do it until something suitable to install them to is created. What do you think about this. This is the rusty's roll bar that I have mounted in the cherokee. I could have a cross bar welded into place on this bar and install the harnesses to them. The white line shows the bar that I would need to add.

bar-mod.jpg

fdsa487 said:
Okay well thank you very much for the information. Im glad I asked because I was about to start the installation process this coming weekend. Now, I will not do it until something suitable to install them to is created. What do you think about this. This is the rusty's roll bar that I have mounted in the cherokee. I could have a cross bar welded into place on this bar and install the harnesses to them. The white line shows the bar that I would need to add.

bar-mod.jpg

That is the right way to go.

fdsa487 said:
Would you guys say that having 5 point harnesses with out having a roll cage is dangerous because you will be strapped to the seat in a roll and could not duck if the roof is caving in?

I had to double check but I thought you said you did not have a roll cage/ or roll bar. If that bar is secure enough then welding a cross bar would make this work for you. Pick up some weld on tabs to mount everything too. Good luck.

Back