• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry remote question.

XJ_Laredo87

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 xj has the keyless entry system on it. The remotes to it were missing when i bought it and i was wondering if anyone happens to know where, or if its eaven possible to find them anymore! I checked with my local jeep dealer, and they said it was discontinued back in 04. Any info would be great!

I'm not sure how to program remotes with the factory keyless. It might even be cheaper to go get a keyless control unit from another store and just disable the factory one......Plus more up to date, easier to program remotes if they are ever lost.

AND - what if some thief has your keyless remotes and knows where you park it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You can find replacements but they are expensive and have to be preprogrammed. I bought an after market unit with 2 remotes and a lot of extra features. It came with 2 remotes. You simply splice the lock/unlock wires into the relays under the pass side kick panel.

OEM are very expensive even used ones are 50 $ on ebay plus they arent any good because they are IR very short range I had to stick them to the window to make them work. But programming them is very easy
It will be easier, cheaper and more efficient to buy new RF from JCwhitney

I saw a 49.99 keyless entry/light flash & remote start combo at Meijer last winter. Can't beat that!

They ALSO had just keyless kits without the remote starter. But the price wasn't much different.....

XJ_Laredo87 said:
My 87 xj has the keyless entry system on it. The remotes to it were missing when i bought it and i was wondering if anyone happens to know where, or if its eaven possible to find them anymore! I checked with my local jeep dealer, and they said it was discontinued back in 04. Any info would be great!

You've probably got the IR system like I have. You can get the remotes here:
http://www.thejeep.com/piland.htm. I have one of his remotes, and it has worked great for years.

Note that the IR remotes CANNOT be programmed - you get a 5-digit code off of the receiver circuit board, and Piland hardwires the remote to produce the right code sequence (the cypher chip generates the code sequence based on the state of 10 tri-state input lines - not an easy thing to crack).

Unless it's been stored in a hermetically sealed box in dry Nitrogen, I doubt the original remote works any more - my factory one's circuit board is literally disintegrating.

What Rob and Blaine said!

My '88 has the IR unit too. I bought an Audiovox unit for $50 that came with 2 remotes. It has more bells and whistles than I needed so I only wired up the door locks, the light flash, valet switch and dash indicator light. I merely had to the splice the lock/unlock wires into the existing relays.

Hard part was figuring out the existing wiring as my FSM did not have all of the colors correct. My DVOM helped immensely!

You can get a keyless entry system on eBay for ~$25-40 shipped. Beats the hell out of trying to track down a mega used old one only to have to pull apart your console to see the codes you need to reprogram it. I went through that same thing a couple years ago. And for a few bucks more you can throw an alarm into the equation as well. :)

Hello all my 92 has the ir system work about 10 ft or so max .What I need to know is dose the dome light come on all keyless intery system that are factory or just some mine dosen't.Owner manual say for 30 sec then gose out .Is there a relay or timmer some where that may be bad.And there is no alarm system maybe not install factory? thought all that had keyless intery had it maybe not .

Dobbs said:
Hello all my 92 has the ir system work about 10 ft or so max .What I need to know is dose the dome light come on all keyless intery system that are factory or just some mine dosen't.Owner manual say for 30 sec then gose out .Is there a relay or timmer some where that may be bad.And there is no alarm system maybe not install factory? thought all that had keyless intery had it maybe not .

The light comes on when the doors are electronically unlocked, whether by a person, or a keyless system. Of course, you have to have power locks :)

Should have said I have power locks /power windows /heated mirrors but not power remote mirrors (weird)has tilt wheel and cruise/rear defroster and a lot of other options.

Dobbs said:

Interesting. I have a '92, and the dome light is only triggered by opening the doors or twisting the headlight knob.

Are you sure the 30 sec isn't the sentry headlight system? With that, if you turn the engine off before the headlights, the headlights will say lit for about a minute, giving you a chance to walk to your front door.

I don't know about the alarm - I'm not aware of a factory system, and yet if you look closely at your dummy light array on the left side of the instrument cluster, there is one that says "security", though it's rarely populated with a bulb. Regardless, there is a difference between keyless entry and an alarm system (though pretty much all alarms these days include keyless entry functionality).

Rob

Back