• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb XJ Questions

REXCJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.

Not an XJ owner yet but looking for some guidance on a purchase.

I've been doing some research and have found some info, but I have questions that I thought could best be answered by owners. Some of my findings may be folklore or just one opinion so I'd like to get a better foundation before I go shopping.

First, my purpose for the XJ is a 90% DD and 10% light/medium trails (I have a CJ7 for tougher trails). I will likely immediately lift it and run 31" AT tires on 15x8 wheels.

I don't really want to spend over 5k for the truck itself.

Which would be the best year model to start with? The XJ will start out as mostly DD but depending on my satisfaction with it I may end up selling the CJ and making the XJ more serious, so I need to know which is the best starting point.

From my research, I know the Chrysler 8.75 is the stronger rear axle. What year is it most likely to be found under? Is there a VIN digit that will determine whether the D35 or Chrysler is installed? Is it best to not even worry about this and just swap in the Explorer 8.8 when/if I decide to get serious?

I have also seen where some say the 4.0 intake was greatly improved in the '97 and later years. Is it worth it to look for a later model performancewise?

Are the auto transmissions problematic? Any particular transmissions to avoid?

Are the '95 model wiring gremlins significant enough to totally avoid that year?

I kind of prefer the looks of the pre-'97 model, but much prefer the interior of the '97 and later. Is it possible to use >'97 interior items in an earlier model?

Sorry for all the newb questions but I want to start out on the right foot.

Thanks in advance!

Well, With my limited knowledge I would personally get a 99 or better. In 99 they came out with a much better intake manifold that helped out with the ponies. also the newer parts will be available for longer time as the oldr parts become scarcer. I believe that 98 and up is when ALL XJs came with the bigger rear axle.

Plus I think the 98+ are better looking anyway!! :D

but if you are serious about not spending more than $5K for the truck you may be stuck with the older xjs. Dealers seem to be wising up to the popularity of the cherokee and are pricing accordingly. Hard to find one for under $6K nowadays. You'll see some places still charging 10 and 11K for a 00 or 01!

I love my 98, I'll be looking for a 99 intake to swap in when I get back home. maybe some better headers as well. That reminds me make sure to check out the stock headers the 4.0 stock ones all seem to crack eventually. THe only problem I've had with mine is door switch problems, the rear wiper motor going out, front brake caliper freezing up and an O2 sensor dieing. Mine has about 170,000 miles on it right now.

HAVE FUN WITH THE HUNT!!! If you find any around texas or oklahoma let me know. THe wife wants one too.

Last edited:
You should be able to find a nice 95ish model well under $5k. You can swap in a later model 8.25 axle(98? for the 8.25 w/ 29 spline axles), find a xj D44 axle, or put the 8.8 in...I always like the 91-95 ones...IIRC wasnt it 96 that they went to the different tail on the tcase? No drive train vibe problems on the 87-95(If I'm remembering the tcase right) with moderate lifts (4.5" or so) and a tcase drop. They all have plenty of power, unless your used to hot rods. Plenty of parts. Yes the later model interior seems nicer but I'm a big guy and find they have less room inside.

Any xj you get is already going to be 5 years old so you should expect maintenence issues, its not problems with the jeep so much as stuff wears out and has to be replaced, just a fact of life

The auto transmissions are generally pretty stout...if I was shopping for one, I'd try to find an xj with a mopar trailer hitch that looks like it was never used, that way you know it was installed correctly but the trans might have never had a heavy load against it.

I would not like a full time 4x4 one.

don't be scared of the "older" version. the 4.0/auto is a 300k mile combo... i'm running a '95 that i'm into for ~$5k including lift, tires, winch, and bumbers. look for a flat bottom on the 8.25, and junkyard grand cherokee seats fit into my xj with very little alteration.

Back