• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would happen if I ran a 231 with no chain for awhile?

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Im searching for a 231 now and the 231 in Ali's 95 lost the pump and the chain is so stretched that it is slapping the case when you drive. Ive seen what happnes with a chain jumps teeth and binds up the case at highway speeds. not a pretty sight!

So Im thinking of pulling the chain and waiting for the new case to show up. any thoughts?

What would happen if I ran a 231 with no chain for awhile?

It wouldn't work. But that is what your looking for right now.

I don't think you'd have a problem.

Not really worth the time to split and reseal the case. I 'think' it would work but my concern is oiling. I would imagine that the chain slinging around in there splashes oil to help in keeping everything lubed. Up here anyways the junk yards and pick-n-pulls are littered with 231's jeep and others. I think that would be a better option. I have a few you could have if you lived closer.

BonesBrosChris said:
Not really worth the time to split and reseal the case. I 'think' it would work but my concern is oiling. I would imagine that the chain slinging around in there splashes oil to help in keeping everything lubed. Up here anyways the junk yards and pick-n-pulls are littered with 231's jeep and others. I think that would be a better option. I have a few you could have if you lived closer.

none around here close, and the stealership wants more for a chain than I can buy a used case for and have it shipped here :confused1

I have seen a chain skip a tooth at highway speeds and lock up the tcase and blow it apart..into about 40 small pieces.

Running without a chain would not be a problem but the without the pump would be. The chain runs in oil the pump lubs the upper gears not the chain.

I don't see a problem. However I scored a chain hor $75 brand new from a local four wheel drive shop.

Back