• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help ASAP! The fuel pump pick-up screen fell off into tank?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Putting a new fuel pump on a 90' and when I pulled it out the pick up screen fell off. I can get my hand into the tank but not to the bottom. I can't feel it anywhere. What should I do? Leave it? Pull the tank?

I never had this happen before.

it couldnt have gotten far from the hole. might have got caught in or behind a baffle, if ur absolutly sure you cant reach the thing ur probably gonna have to dump the tank then try and dump the screen out. but if its caught on something pulling the tank isnt gonna help.
could also leave the damn thing in there provided your pump camp with a new one

I had the same thing happen on a friends of mine. We ended up taking a fish net that you use to clean an aquarium with and fastened a metal hanger to it (straightened out of course) and just worked it around until we snagged the screen and drug it up the tank and pulled it out. It was not super easy, but it was not rocket science either. Hope this helps ya.

I got a new screen for the new pump, I just wonder if the one left in the tank will mess with the sending unit or something else?

Thanks for the quick response.

Try using a mechanicla finger tool or try using a recovery magnet? I dont know what the screen is made of?

Its made out of plastic.

I just left it in there, don't know if it will cause a problem or not. Its running good now, and the guage is reading correctly but who knows in the future.

I'm leaving in a couple days for a 1k mile round trip, I hope it does O.K. I'll drive it around town till then to see.

Good point on the longer arm but its still tight just getting a hand into the tank opening. There is no skin left on each side of my left hand(my right hand wouldn't even go through the hole) from goiung in and out of there and one time I thought it was going to be a 911 call but finally after dousing my hand down into the gas left in the tank, it slide out. Gas on raw skin has a little bite to it!

The local Jeep experts that I finally got ahold of today say it shouldn't be a problem left in there, time will tell.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back