• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 gear planetary possibility?

XXX

NAXJA Forum User
I rarely post here but I come here and find new info daily. For my question.......

I Have my NP231 apart and notice on the planetary chunk that it's predrilled for what seems like "6" gears. Can three more gears be added to the existing "3", or am I way off base? :dunno:

-Ron

XXX said:
Thanks.........Take a look on the link that you provided at the last pic on the bottom of the stock 3 pinion planetary. Why couldn't you add 3 more pinions in the spaces that are left "blank" from the factory?

-Ron

Thats what he did in that article, he swapped to a 6 planetary gear setup out of a 241

3vs6_sm.jpg

There are 6 gears on the one on the right

ya but he asking why not just take another stock unit remove the 3 gears and add them to another stock unit.the site also said it was a Chevy 241 case that had the 6 gear version .

XXX said:
Thanks.........Take a look on the link that you provided at the last pic on the bottom of the stock 3 pinion planetary. Why couldn't you add 3 more pinions in the spaces that are left "blank" from the factory?

-Ron
Seems reasonable---------Hans

Back