• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery plug under hood

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone tell me where this goes. it comes from the wire bundle that runs along the firewall at the top. I can find the other end of it anywhere! nothing seems out of sorts as far as performance goes, it's just driving me nuts hanging there loose. it comes out right between the dipstick for the oil and the one for the tranny.

I'm not sure how to post pics, so here goes.
DSC01371

DSC01368

dsco1369

dsco1370

dspilot said:
can anyone tell me where this goes. it comes from the wire bundle that runs along the firewall at the top. I can find the other end of it anywhere! nothing seems out of sorts as far as performance goes, it's just driving me nuts hanging there loose. it comes out right between the dipstick for the oil and the one for the tranny.

I'm not sure how to post pics, so here goes.
DSC01371

DSC01368

dsco1369

dsco1370
Pics no worky but answer me this...is it a single black wire?

pics no worky.... my first thought is an under-hood light pigtail.. do you have insulation under the hood? maybe the insulation and light have been removed?

I don't know if it's the same as on my '88, but my hood light connector is a single wire plug. And it runs high up on the fire wall near the passenger side fender. Is it something to do with cruise control? I have an unused plug in the same area, and I do not have cruise.

I have the same plug, plugged into nothing. I think it might be for the oil pressure gauge? Do you have (or did your Jeep come with) the instrument cluster with the huge gas gauge and a oil pressure dummy light? I think this is the plug that went to the premium cluster, but I'm not sure.

Critical factoids missing...

Model Year?
Engine?
Trim Level?
Wire Colours?

All will help identify the plug - anything that doesn't get used gets ignored, but when asking questions like this, all the information you can give may be just enough... Especially the first and last - there were significant electrical changes at points throughout the years (most notably, 1986/1987, 1988/1989, 1990/1991, 1995/1996, 1996/1997, and 1999/2000...)

5-90

my bad.....i am new to this.

1996 sport, 4.0L

one red wire and one black wire.

I do not have cruise. I do have a working oil pres. gauge.

There is no light under the hood now, but where would it have been mounted if there were one?

Looks like a hood light wire. It's the only thing on my 95 that has the wire wrapped identical to that.

BTW, it's location is far from where the AC pressure switch is. It's on the big harness by the heater valve. That's right where the hood light wire comes out too.

Another vote for the hood light. :thumbup:

dspilot said:
where would the hood light be mounted if I had one?

You should see a small incision and a spot for a bolt, if you split the hood right down the middle when it is up it would be on the right half about 4-6" from the base on the right hand side.

That should put you right in the ball park for location.

i agree with hood light. my 96 has the same thing and i have been trying to find out what it does for a long time. now that i hear it hood light makes so much sence

Not to drag up an old thread, but I've got some questions about the hood light plug.

Here is the plug from my 98 Sport.
10627_281613480130_886005130_9055755_1580218_n.jpg

Here's is a mystery plug from my 97 SE (which I suspect is a hood light plug).
10627_281613470130_886005130_9055754_1249950_n.jpg

Both plugs seem to come out of the large wiring bundle that runs along the firewall and have other wires that go to the AC systems.

My 97 doesn't have a hood light, and I figured (as worthless as they are), it might be nice to throw it on my 97, since I am parting my 98.

Back