• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accident Info 01 XJ

Jdc518

NAXJA Forum User
So my wife just got hit yesterday in our 01 xj. I have not been able to see it yet since it was towed and the yard is closed until tuesday.

Details from my wife are: (she is ok) She was going about 35 - 40 through a green light when out of no-where a dodge caravan (taxi) came throught the intersection and hit her in the left front corner and pushed her head on into a traffic light which ended up onto of the roof. Her door was stuck and required a fireman to pull it open. The jeep was still running and the airbags did not go off. I think she was able to hit the brakes at the last second. So I was wondering about a few things,
Thanks for any help

1) Should the airbags have gone off ?
Iam glad the airbags did not go off, she sits close the the wheel and is only 105lbs.

2) At what point will Statefarm total the jeep (50 70 or 80%) of KBB, for a limited 01 XJ 4x4, towing and upcountry 78K tradein is around 7- 8k
I want to keep it

3) Also will they make us pay for the street light ?
just wondering

Thanks

Sounds totalled from your description (Over 50% of value in repairs). The other persons insurance should pay for the street light if anyone at all.

I went thru a fence once in a business park, and they must of had their own insurance cause they never contacted mine. I doubt the police ever sent them a report of the accident anyway.

I'm not very mechanically inclined to offer suggestion on if it is totaled or not, but my parents went thru a situation when their car was stolen. They wanted the opposite of you, but the adjuster was not able to total the car.

All I can tell you is, make friends with the adjuster and ask for their help. In the case of my parents my father asked for his help and the adjuster called some of his rebuilder friends. Between insurance and the car being sold my parents got retail for it. Hopefully the adjuster will be helpful and can help find a solution for anything that comes up.

If someone comes after you and your wife for the street light, make it clear that it was the Taxi that caused the accident.

Glad everyone is ok.

I'll take the upcountry suspension :)

But no, it wasn't her fault (or so it sounds) so why would you have to pay for anything?

You can buy the Jeep back if it is totaled, and do with it what you please.

So I just got to see the Jeep this morning, It was hit hard on the front left wheel, Front axel is bent, fender and door damaged, and the center of the bumper has a nice dent the shape of the traffic light pole.

Since I think it will be totaled what happens if I want to buy it back

will I have problems insuring it after I repair it

whats the best place to find a replacment front diff , and what other parts might be damaged in the front.

Thanks
JDC518

Sounds like a hard hit.

You shouldn't have difficulty getting it insured, but the title will say "Wrecked" or something if you fix it back up. Not much resale value, but who cares. You drive a Jeep for yourself; you don't think about selling it.

If it works in Illinois like it does here, assuming it is totaled, you should have no problem buying it back from State Farm. They will charge you a percentage of settlement price, probably somewhere around 20% give or take a bit depending on year, salvage demand, how bad wrecked, etc. If there is a lein on the title it will complicate things, but it can still usually be bought. You will get a salvage title and unless it is labeled as not-rebuildable or junk once repaired and inspected by the state you can get it licensed. I've rebuilt several salvage title cars and once inspected State Farm has insured every one of them so insurance should not be a problem. If properly repaired the only real drawbacks are resale value (if you care) and no bank will use the vehicle for collateral.
By your description, however, your Jeep could be pretty bad. Before considering buying back I'd check the unibody close underneath for damage and make sure the rest of the drivetrain beyond the front axle is OK. Especially if the engine got smacked by the pole. If the pole broke off pretty easily and the wheel/axle took most of the impact it would be possible for the airbags not deploying.
Good luck.

My wife said the engine was still running fine for the 15 minumite before the police got there , so I have some confidnece in the drivetrain except the fron t diff, Although I will have to check out the unibody for damage .

Also I own the jeep and have the title in hand, will they make me re issue the title with salvage if i accept a buyout.??

thanks for all your help ,
I just want to be prepared and informed before I have to make a decision,

I really like this jeep I bought it new and ordered with all the good stuff, Select trac, towing , up country, locking diff. Limited, It would be hard to replace.

You will probably have to get a reissue or have the title stamped, but I have seen owner buy backs with the owner keeping the original unstamped title. A Carfax check should still catch it however. So let your agent ask for the title, don't volunteer, just have it handy if necessary.
Cheers.

I also noticed you said the pole fell on the roof. While you're looking for things that are compromised check the roof. If it was damaged and you push out the dent, or something like that, it may compromise a structural part. If that's the case it could offer less protection during the next incident with the roof.

If it looks anything close to this XJ from the "Whoops" thread in the Picture Showcase, then before I put my family in it I would work in some type of reinforcement. Just my $.02.

Hope the tow driver swept up all the pieces and put them in the back of the XJ. Brother got hit on his way to school and it saved him alot since he JB Welded the Plastic pieces of the Grill back together.

danny_v_l said:
my waggy

n1227720038_30033012_9163.jpg

n1227720038_30033020_654.jpg

Jdc518 said:
Also I own the jeep and have the title in hand, will they make me re issue the title with salvage if i accept a buyout.??

Depends on the insurance company.

Some will require a savlage title, some won't. Ask your adjuster - they'll tell you the policy.

Back