• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help

brandon_750

NAXJA Forum User
First off Happy Holidays to all.
Here is the problem my 1990 XJ with 4.0 while idling in traffic died yesterday. Started back up but when it did Had no power. If i put it in neutral would rev nicely. But once in gear nothing. Well I parked it ran some errands came back 45 mins later started up and ran fine. On the way home stopped by Autozone thinking my Fuel Filter might need changed. Dont know how long it had been on. SO when i got home i changed it. THe next morning I fueled up and was heading up to go snowboarding the first hill it started to go up had ZERO power. Turned around dropped it off when to the mountain. When I got home I started her up and took her for a drive. I discovered between 1/4 gas pedel to right before the pedel is on the floor no power. If I drop the hammer the tranny kicks down and she goes. So please help me out.

INFO NOTE:
I replaced the 02 sensor about 150 miles ago. Cause my idle was suspect.

check the fuel pump. Mine has similar symptoms, but also my fuel pump starts whining really loudly. I will be changing it as soon as the part gets here. I think this might be it. I also changed the FF, and poured out about 2 cups of black sludge with the fuel in it. Mine sat in a driveway for 2 years withouth running though.

Good luck.

The TPS (Throttle Positon Sensor) may be going bad. Get an ohm meter and test it. Search here for "TPS and test" and you should find details on the test voltages and procedures. Also check the TPS connector for loose dirty connections, tighten and clean them if needed.

Also just for grins, :) check and make sure the O2 sensor connector is not connected backwards (something I learned the hard way recently that caused me some similar problems) since you just replaced it.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Back