• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex revolver shackles

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
Are shackle sizes / designs pretty much the same on all years xj's? I have a chance to get some revolver shackles and figured before spending money should ask first. From what I have seen in the past revolver shackles work pretty good - anyone have any first hand experience with them -- thanks

Ed

The consensus around here is that the revolver shackles are not the way to go. Do a search and you will find a ton on this subject.

Yeah but everyone who talks sh*t about them has never run them. I have only heard good things about them from friends who have them. I plan on getting a set in the near future.
-Jerry

I tried them for a few runs... not worth it at all. Mine would not open up on articualtion, only on off camber and when climbing. Neither of those situations do you want them to open up. Even with a tire completely off the ground they wouldnt open. These shackles have claimed many drive shaft U-joints and yokes due to them opening on hard acceleration and binding the drive shaft. I was going to try useing a center mounted limiting strap like I have on my radius armed front but never did. Not worth spending the time for something that doesnt work from the get-go.

BTW I have RE 4.5" leafs if it matters to anyone. And I did try them loose, tight ect and it didnt make a difference.

I ran them for a year and they suck. I had all kinds of flex and thought I was supper cool, but they suck. I tried several hill climbs with them and did not make them, because they suck. I tried them same climbs after swapping in solid shackle (same conditions) and I made the hills, I think its because the revolvers suck. I also felt like I was going to flop on every sidehill, because they suck.

But it looks like your mind is allready made up, but remember this..........

THEY SUCK

I've ran mine with no real problems. A couple of us run them. I haven't had any driveshaft issues, but that may depend on your driving style. Mine open and close properly. In my case, I need to add a limiting strap to keep from damaging my rear brake lines. I also need to install my extended stainless brake lines while I'm at it. There are situations where they will be more of a hinderance than a help. I like the extra articulation they give me. However, my rig isn't a dd.

I had a friend that ran them with a no-slip. Every time he went around a corner, the inside revolver would unload and start throwing the inner corner of the rig 4" in the air ..and that was at 25 mph on the pavement.

That was enough for me to not want to touch them.

I ran these on the rubicon and every trip I went on I easily went through 3 or 4 yokes and strap kits.. Piece of crap setup... DO NOT BUY..

A friend of mine liked them but ended up removing them after replacing his yoke a 4th time after installing them. He broke it everytime he took it out and always carried extra yokes just so that he could get off the trail.

Back