• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 XJ FSM

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Do these even exist for XJs made before '95. Ive only found real chryco FSM for '95+. But after looking for tranny rebuilds kits out of curiosity I came across a site linked on here call RockAuto. They have this and was woundering if anyone has one and knows if its the same as a FSM and includes all the info Ill need to do anything. Ex. Torque Specs

RockAuto.COM said:
BISHKO Part #1112{Parts Book show blow-up diagrams of a section of your vehicle, each part and how it fits with adjacent parts. Frequently inc charts with info on vin num, mech, brakes, engine, trans etc. Reprint of what a dealership parts dept would of originally used.}

1987-1990 Jeep Factory Parts Book, Including Illustrations, Loose Leaf, 2156 pages

$101.79

Yes, it does exist, although I've only ever seen the scanned version thats floating out on the internet. Not too hard to find if you google a bit. It's much shorter and definitely not as detailed as my 95 FSM. I have a copy and only really use it for the wiring schematic and refer to the 95 FSM for just about everything else. If you're looking for a guide to rebuilding an AX15 or AW4, the 1995 FSM would probably be more useful as the tranny hardly changed between those years. I think just the output spline count and the 5th gear synchro diameter changed.

I've had good service from rockauto and in fact bought a belt for my wifes truck this evening from them. The BISHKO reproduction can be found for $84 on eBay. Don't buy the $20 manual from eBay as it's nothing more than a crappy Chiltons.

The AW4 rebuild was just for shits n giggles, might try it just for the hell later in life. But mainly Im interested in engine and vacum schematics.

XJoshua said:
The AW4 rebuild was just for shits n giggles, might try it just for the hell later in life. But mainly Im interested in engine and vacum schematics.

Check my RENIXPower group (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) and see if I've posted scanned copies of electrics and vacuum diagrams.

If you want to find FSMs (they're still out there - and I've got one as well, but it's NFS,) you'll have to look for an original or a reprint of an AMC manual, rather than a MOPAR. That makes it a bit more difficult...

Note that 1989 and 1990 (MOPAR) use the same control setup and basic layout, but there are some key differences (wire colour, mainly. I've compared them...) that require a little detective work when you're working, just to make sure you've got the right thing to fix...

5-90

XJoshua said:
They have this and was woundering if anyone has one and knows if its the same as a FSM and includes all the info Ill need to do anything.
A parts list is not the same as a service manual. It won't have instructions on how to take things apart and put them back together like an FSM will.

Search "ASTG" "automatic transmissions service group" There step by step is as good as anybody elses (FSM) and in some ways better.
I've seen a download of there AW4 manual someplace.
I regularly search and have come up with some gems. You have to find it and download it before the people who own the copyright, shut it down. Beware of viruses.
I've always felt that when you bought the vehicle, the purchase price should include all the service information on how to repair it and related parts manuals. Copyrighting the service material is IMO a crappy way to milk a few more bucks out of the consumer.
I'm surprised nobody has ever come up with a military service manual for the XJ, they have to be out there someplace. The military manuals do parts really well. The military philosphy of providing manuals, in the degree of difficulty is also helpfull. From operator maintenence through serious rebuilding and refurbishing, usually in three or four manuals set up by the degree of difficulty and written for the mechanic and not the engineer.

Back