• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

amc v8 engine swap

rebel68

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to install an AMC v8 (possibly a 401 c.i.d.) into my 1988 xj. I know the question of installing an AMC v8 into an xj has been asked before but I am having a hard time searching the site, even with the advanced search. So for starters I know that I cannot use the aw4 tranny because of the comoputer controls, and they just don't bolt up. I have a 360 with a 727 out of a 1990 Grand wagoneer and I would like to use the 242 transfer case from my xj behind the 727. Does anybody know if it just bolts up. I contacted advance adapters via e-mail with the question and got no response. I know there is something about the output shaft being either 21 or 23 splined from early to late models. But which years 242 t-cases need a 21 spline and which ones need 23? Does the 727 have 21 or 23 splines. If the tranny and t-case have the same # of splines will they mesh properly?. I am currently driving the xj. I would like to Have as much figured out as possible before pulling it off the road to minimize down time. Has anyone done this swap? I would love pics and info if someone has.
thanks

Back