• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d 30 front lock-rite and a blizzard

dbswede

NAXJA Member # 1516
I have read many posts on the drivability issues of a front locker and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents after our big colorado blizzard....I noticed no negatives and only positives while driving on snowy and or icy roads.

The negatives that I have read in posts are that the vehicle becomes "squirrly" in slippery conditions (with a front locker)....
I really didnt notice this, but to be fair I drive very conservitive in bad conditions because of all the idiots out there.

The big positive is the front pulling you where you may have got stuck with a open diff.

I agree.

With a selectable in the rear it's really easy to get around having the front pull you and not having the rear push you straight while you're trying to turn. I previously had a Lock Right in the rear as well and it was not nearly as predictable.

dbswede said:
I have read many posts on the drivability issues of a front locker and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents after our big colorado blizzard....I noticed no negatives and only positives while driving on snowy and or icy roads.

The negatives that I have read in posts are that the vehicle becomes "squirrly" in slippery conditions (with a front locker)....
I really didnt notice this, but to be fair I drive very conservitive in bad conditions because of all the idiots out there.

The big positive is the front pulling you where you may have got stuck with a open diff.

Thanks for the feedback!:clap:

just put my rear locker in and can already tell its going to slow me down in the snow (lock rite) but i was considering adding a front locker of the same flavor, any negative feedback for daily driving with a locked front end? Also do you think it would benefit me to go ahead and lock the front to help with driving in such condiitions...i have a 242!

dbswede said:

Those are usually the ones that compain about having the locker up front. I have had mine locked for a few years, best upgrade so far, especially in the snow.

Just be careful when braking, if one tire is on ice and one is on pavement, be ready for the loudest banging noise you have ever heard. It'll wake you up, thats for sure.

personal senario..

Both TJ's 5sp, 4.0, 231 4:56 gears.... MTR 35"..

Mine with no-slips front and rear (the best hands down add-in 'lunchbox' auto locker). Friends with electrac selectable rear and ez locker front.

both of us on the same trail in Big bear in close to pure ice on a decline trailhead and slight sideways slope.

I was trying to ofollow him. both in 2hi, he cruised right down it 1st gear unlocked rear. I followed.. It went sideways as soon as the jeep got to the sideways sloped area. It continued all the way till it got to level ground, about 50 ft. Talk abotu scary. Then we turned iti around and went up. Well he did. I went up and almost 180'd trying to follow..

My take.. And Experience.. Rear and front auto lockers are Garbage in ICE... But once in soft powder or slush, and they are just as good as selectables.

If you can afford 200-400$ more, do the selctable!

StylerG said:
just put my rear locker in and can already tell its going to slow me down in the snow (lock rite) but i was considering adding a front locker of the same flavor, any negative feedback for daily driving with a locked front end? Also do you think it would benefit me to go ahead and lock the front to help with driving in such condiitions...i have a 242!

You might be able to get away with the fulltime option in teh 242 being locked front and rear. Myself, I am lunch-box locker in the front and limited slip in the back. Its just like they say above, in full-time with my 242, its bery predictable with the front pulling you around corners.

ROBERTK said:
personal senario..

Both TJ's 5sp, 4.0, 231 4:56 gears.... MTR 35"..

Mine with no-slips front and rear (the best hands down add-in 'lunchbox' auto locker). Friends with electrac selectable rear and ez locker front.

both of us on the same trail in Big bear in close to pure ice on a decline trailhead and slight sideways slope.

I was trying to ofollow him. both in 2hi, he cruised right down it 1st gear unlocked rear. I followed.. It went sideways as soon as the jeep got to the sideways sloped area. It continued all the way till it got to level ground, about 50 ft. Talk abotu scary. Then we turned iti around and went up. Well he did. I went up and almost 180'd trying to follow..

My take.. And Experience.. Rear and front auto lockers are Garbage in ICE... But once in soft powder or slush, and they are just as good as selectables.

If you can afford 200-400$ more, do the selctable!
This may be a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Let me think how to word this...so a front auto locker wasnt a bad choice, but it was the rear locker that was giving you the most trouble. Correct? So when I go to buy lockers I will get selectable ones if I can afford it. If not then a lunchbox locker in the front and a selectable or limited slip in the rear would be another good alternative? Thanks in advance.
Later,
Joe

joecool said:
This may be a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Let me think how to word this...so a front auto locker wasnt a bad choice, but it was the rear locker that was giving you the most trouble. Correct? So when I go to buy lockers I will get selectable ones if I can afford it. If not then a lunchbox locker in the front and a selectable or limited slip in the rear would be another good alternative? Thanks in advance.
Later,
Joe

Yes...

That way you can disengage the front by going in to 2hi, and then when you want it you can engage it. But I still would do selectable front though. In solid terrain (MOAB or even JV'ish) if in 4wd you will have a hard time turning at times.

for 1100$ you can get 2 nice selectable lockers that are posi when disengaged even.

A nice alternative to two selectables is a 2Low kit in the t-case. Works great in Moab or other high tractions areas.

In snow, a rear selectable makes a ton of difference when coupled with any kind of front locker.

Yep I love my 2 low kit. Its amazing how much stuff you can get through in 2 low with the rear locked up. Not to mention it really takes the stress off of the front end.

Yes, and going to two wheel drive in the ice is a HUGE advantage over four wheel drive with the front open. ;)

2-low has its uses, but its not a valid replacement for an open front diff in slick scenarios.

cal said:
Yes, and going to two wheel drive in the ice is a HUGE advantage over four wheel drive with the front open. ;)

2-low has its uses, but its not a valid replacement for an open front diff in slick scenarios.
It may not be a valid replacement as you state, but from a value vs. benefit standpoint, it's pretty compelling. A 2Low can be had for less than 20 cents on the dollar of a selectable locker. Consider labor cost and it gets even better.

It's something to think about since some guys are on a budget and the two different items don't ever cancel one another out.....they're both worth having.

While I won't argue that, its misleading in the context of the thread - a front hard locker in a blizzard.

cal said:
While I won't argue that, its misleading in the context of the thread - a front hard locker in a blizzard.

Actually, it was "after" a blizzard, not "in" a blizzard.:rolleyes:

I agree with you....it's just a "drive what you got" kinda thing. He was reporting results with a less than perfect setup and that he did OK. I'm setup in a similar fashion and for the 2 days a year that we have snow on pavement here in the Pac NW, I don't worry about it too much. It could be different for those in the plains and mountain states where it's a daily grind for weeks on end.

Back