• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE adj Track bar length.

Xj'sR'Creamy

NAXJA Forum User
Kit is in, just doing some research to make this go smoother during the build up.

I recall reading about adjusting the track bar and I read that if you attatch one end and rock the front end of the jeep around on level ground that it will rest into proper place then just adjust as needed. Is this a true method or am I missing something.

Merry Christmas!

James

That's how I always do it. In fact, I did it a few hours ago putting new springs under my TJ.

Attach it at the frame and, and bouce up and down on the front bumper. It'll generally settle squared up. Look at the tires compared to the fender just to make sure. Then adjust until you can slip the lower bolt in without moving the body around.

That just never worked very accurately for me on any of the installs I have done. I have found this easier and very accurate. Install the unibody mount end, and with the jeep sitting in rest position, adjust the bar until the holes at the axle mount line up, then put the bolt through it (don't bolt it up or anything, just put the bolt through it). Take a yard stick or tape measure, put the end against the wall of the wheel well between the coil and the shock, and measure to an outer lug on the tire that will be easy to match on the opposite side. Take note of that distance. Do the same thing for the opposite, note that distance. Subtract the two distances, then divide that number by two. This is the amount the trackbar needs to be lengthened or shortened, depended when way the axle needs to move. Pull the bolt, adjust the trackbar so it is changed the amount you found in relation to the axle mount hole (measure center of trackbar bushing to center of axle mount hole). Have a friend sit in the drivers seat, unlock the steering but don't turn on the jeep, and have them turn the steering wheel until the holes line up, have them hold the wheel in place while you put the bolt through. Remeasure the wheel well to lug on both sides again to compare distances, and if it is within 1/4", that would only be a 1/8" adjustment, and that isn't a big deal, unless you want it dead on. Put the nut on the bolt and torque to factory specs.

Back