• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan stays on after shutdown

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Well out of nowhere, now when i shut off the jeep, the electric fan stays on for an extra 5 minutes after the car has been all shut down and everything else is off. What gives with this?

the electric fan is activated by a temperature sensor. It may be staying on so long because either the sensor is bad, or the engine is too hot when shut down and it turns on because because the sensor is doing it's job. If the sensor is faulty it may be turning on when it's not supposed to thinking the engine is hotter than it actually is.

HeavyMetal said:
Well out of nowhere, now when i shut off the jeep, the electric fan stays on for an extra 5 minutes after the car has been all shut down and everything else is off. What gives with this?

Is it running hot? I know many vehicles run the electric fans on a temperature switch independent of the ignition switch!

Is this related perhaps to the restarting problem on your other post? Could the ECU system be locking out a restart until it cools down?

What year is it?

You might check the ignition switch to see if it is fried. I have had fried ignition switches and ignition harness connectors intemitently short out and cause weird stuff as they died! A lot of control wiring runs through those switches.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

I do not believe, 98% sure, the electric fan stays on after the ignition switch is turned off.
I comes on as stated, if overheating but is only powered with the ignition switch in the ACC or RUN position.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

XJ4PLAY said:
I do not believe, 98% sure, the electric fan stays on after the ignition switch is turned off.
I comes on as stated, if overheating but is only powered with the ignition switch in the ACC or RUN position.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

That's how mine works! If the key is off the fan does not get power regardless of temp. If someone rewired the fan it is possible that the fan would stay on.

well nothing has ever been done to the fan and in the 10 years this thing has existed its never done it haha

it did it all day yesterday and has yet to today. and didnt ever do it previous to yesterday. In the meantime i have done nothing to it to change anything thatd make it stop

Jeeps.

its a 97 if that makes any difference

I always wondered about that, the electric fan on most cars will stay on or cycle till it cools down as well as the warning sticker on the fan shroud, my electric on my 98 has never come on or stayed on once I turned the key off so you probably have a problem, especially if it comes on at random times over nite, could kill the battery...

RichP said:
I always wondered about that, the electric fan on most cars will stay on or cycle till it cools down as well as the warning sticker on the fan shroud, my electric on my 98 has never come on or stayed on once I turned the key off so you probably have a problem, especially if it comes on at random times over nite, could kill the battery...

I've always wondered why mine doesn't stay on like it does on most other cars.....and it even says on the sticker on the fan shroud like you said, that the dan may stay on when the ignition is off......interesting.

I thought the sticker just said "Fan may come on at any time" warning you if the vehicle was on.

Mom's old 82 Jetta had an electric fan and I never heard it on when the vehicle was off......

I would guess its the relay. On my 95 I have had problems with overheating and I wired my switch directly from where the relay goes. You can jumper two of the connections to make it work, which means there is constant power to one of the connections. If the relay is fused it would cause your fan to stay on, even when the ignition is off. Next time it does it, pull the relay and see if it stops. If so replace the relay and see if it starts again.

Few cars normally permit key off coolant fan operation.
I would look at the relay sticking closed.
Is the coolant fan fuse of proper size? Replacing this fuse with a higher capacity fuse inorder to feed an old shorting fan motor or if extra fan and/or very large fan has been added. May overload the fan relay. Causing it's contacts to weld shut at times.
Sometimes the relay just get old but often they are overloaded to stick shut.
I have rewired a few to permit key off coolant fan operation. It can help prevent excessive key off peculation. More common when towing heavy and in hot weather,
It's not a big problem on the Cherokee. That I have seen but if you didn't buy the Jeep new an earlier owner may have rewired it.

=====================
A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE.

Well, my '97 just started doing this same thing.

I've been unplugging the fan when I stop, as I don't know if it will quit or not.

What's weird is that I can plug the fan back in when the jeep is all cooled down and the fan does not come back on again. This would lead me to believe that the relay isn't stuck shut.

Anyone else have ideas about this? Maybe the ignition switch is the next thing to check...

Wish mine would stay on for 5 mins after I shut it off....hot as all hell here in NM....lol

Back