• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle options?

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Well, much to my dismay, I decided to check on one of my new tires to see if it was wearing as unevenly as my old ones, and I can see the uneven wear. I'm assuming it's out of alignment, but nobody will align it because A) I "need" new hub and bearing assemblies. or B) I'm "missing" a control arm(I've got a 3-link system.) Could it be something as simple as my toe-in needing adjustment? In addition to that crap, I've got some sort of problem in the area of my front driveshaft; it now sounds like a bad bearing type noise, may be the pinion bearing, maybe not. The noise is a constant rolling type noise when the driveshaft is in, and it's faint when the ds is out. When the driveshaft is out, it doesn't make a difference whether it's in 4 wheel drive or not, so I would think that rules out a problem with the transfer case. the driveshaft has a little play in it, but don't think it would cause the problem I'm having. So the consensus that it's something in the front diff.

So, should I just look for another d30 with 3.55 gears to throw under there? What are my options as far as a d44? I don't have a welder and I can't weld. I don't have the money to regear or upgrade both axles.. I just don't want to destroy these tires, they cost alot of money, and I'd like to have 4x4 on call, not just when when I need it and have time to put my ds in, especially with winter coming up(eventually..)

thanks for your help..

I think the first thing you need to do is accurately diagnose the problem you're having. You're "assuming" your alignment is bad. You didn't describe the wear pattern on the tire either. How is a new axle going to fix that? Seems a tape measure and an angle finder are going to be easier to use at this point than swapping in a new axle. Ditto for the bearings you "need" replaced.

The passenger front tire is wearing more on the outside than the inside. On another forum, we've hypothesized that it's my unit bearing.

Back