• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost installation

ram360cid

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I decided to install a 2" BB (Rocky Road) on my 1998 XJ. The kit came with spacers for the front, and 1-1/2" shackles and 1/2" blocks for the rear. I started with the rear:

Yesterday....

First, I jacked the left rear up, and took the tire off. Where is this shackle? Remember, I am still new to all this. Finally find the shackle, put the tire back. I start with the top bolt. I look at it, and figure it must have a weld nut on the other side, since there is no access to the other side. Try to loosen it with a wrench. Ain't moving. So I get out the breaker bar and try that (I did spray all the bolts with that stuff you are supposed to spray them with). I try to loosen it and I hear these loud pops as I try to loosen it. I am wondering if the weld nut is loose. Anyway, I persist and all I can say it that was a beeyotch! Then, I try the bottom bolt, and realize I don't have a 21mm deep socket. Run to lowes, home depot and then Sears (they have it). Get home and take the bolt out. Now I have the shackle out. Proceed to put the new shackle in. That was a beyotch also to get in, and to get the springs lined up also. So, I have the shackle in.

The kit came with shock extensions, so I proceed to remove the rear shock. The bottom comes off fine, then I try the top. SNAP, head breaks off first bolt. I am thinking sh*t, this sucks. Don't think about a solution, I move on to the next bolt. SNAP, that one breaks too. ARGH! WTF? I just want to hit something.

I figure I can either drill those out, or rotate the mounting location about 45 degrees . So, I will have to drill and tap new holes.

Today....

Well, decided to drill them out this morning. Went well, drilled both of them out. Need to go to the hardware store to get some bolts and correct size tap.

So, I figured I would give the other shock a try before I left. Ha Ha, knew it was going to happen. Snapped both of those also. Man, I guess this lift is going to try to beat me down. I didn't hear no bell....one more round....

A few hours later....

Well, progress has been made.
icon_biggrin.gif
Drilled and tapped all four rear upper shock mounts, and installed the BPEs that came with the kit. I also swapped the other shackle. No issues there.

I will tell you it is not fun to press the bar pins out of 8 year old shocks.

So, the shackles are completed as are the BPEs for the rear shocks. Have to do the rear 1/2" blocks and also the front coil spacers. I think I will save the rest for another day, my right arm and shoulder is really sore from fahking with those upper shock mounts.
icon_sad.gif

So, not much more left to do. I will definitely post pics when I am complete.

having fun yet?

welcome to the 2'' BB club

565480-R1-01-1_002.jpg

Sunday (12-24):
Decided to work on the front today. Jack it up, took the wheel off. Didn't see how to get the spring out without a spring compressor. I go rent a spring compressor. Come back, and get the spring out. Install the spacer (beeyotch to initially get over the bumpstop!). Proceed to put the spring back in, and can't get the axle low enough. Try to disconnect the sway bar and SNAP....break the top bolt for the sway bar disconnect. Oh well, I have the stock LJs left over so I can use those. After the sway bar is disconnected I could lower the axle to get the spring back on. Only other issue was the BPEs....they don't line up with the stock shock mounting holes. Oh well, leave them off and call Rocky Road to see what is up with that.

Other side:
No issues, except the sway bar disconnect....SNAP....I just love breaking stuff. Not really an issue, use the stock LJ disconnect. Just need the torx bit to swap them out, going to Sears later to get that.

So, 3 things remain to be completed....install 1/2" blocks in the rear, swap out sway bar disconnects and call the manufacturer to see what is up with the BPEs for the front shocks.

Tuesday: (12-26)
Lift is complete!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Finished it up tonight. Fixed the front swaybar disconnects yesterday and finished up the lift blocks tonight. Had to get a longer leaf spring center bolt and longer u-bolts. But it is complete.

Specs:
Rocky Road 2" BB
30X9.5 factory LJ tires/wheels

Here are before and after pics:

338478811_5d1ce2afc5.jpg

338478812_85acce16e5.jpg

Looks good...I am ordering this kit next week to get me by until I can afford the RE 3.5"........I am now worried about breaking stuff when I do the install. The thing I am worried the most about is having to drill and tap, I have never done that before....How much do you think a shop would charge to put this kit on???

Thanks, I am pleased with the results!

I would install it myself if I were you. Good experience. I think one thing you have to accept when doing stuff like this is expect the unexpected.

It is not hard to drill and tap new threads. You know how to use a drill, I am sure. You can get a tap and die tool from Home depot for like $15. Here is a good writeup on how to fix the rear upper shock bolts, same thing I did.
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2016

I think you would pay around $300 for a shop to install this.

depending where you are (rust belt, sunshine n dry area) you may or may not break those bolts.
I broke mine and the easiest thing I could think of to fix the problem was to knock out the old bolts with a punch and hammer, than took new bolts welded a piece of metal about 2 inches long onto them and with a washer super glued to the bottom. The piece of metal is so you can position it with your hands where it needs to be, and also so it won't rotate once you start tightening the bolt. Mine works great.

beakie said:
depending where you are (rust belt, sunshine n dry area) you may or may not break those bolts.
this is the same thing i was thinking, i recently put on a 3inch lift on my 90xj, and shock bolts were NO PROBLEMS,

as for compressing springs, without a coil compressor... you gotta do your research, it saves trips to the store, if you disconnect more stuff, you get more droop of the axle, allowing you to remove a stock coil very easily, this is not a 1 wheel at a time kinda thing...
you should have visited http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/ , it woulda made stuff a lot easier for ya, well, except for those shock bolts....

cool! Good to hear that, I need tires, and I'm thinking 30's...and of course if I put 30's under it, I'll need a little more clearance...don't want to put money into a lift right now, BB looks like the way to go. I can get my hands on a set of front coils from a 95 Grand Orvis v8, which came with the Up Country pckage, so I might put those on and then see how much lift I need to even out in the rear.

are the BPE's necessary with 2" of lift??

irish636 said:
with the 3in bb do u have to get extended brake lines?????
No you dont. Im running 4.5" on a '99 and dont have brake lines extended... I might run into an issue will full flex, but I dont normally hit those limits..

citRon said:
hey whata bout vibes...get any driveline vibrations after the lift? Howabout loss of power with those 30x9.50's?

All XJ's are different, I dont need a t-case drop on my 4.5"
And I'm running 31's with stock gears and all, small loss of power, not much though.

I did the same kit a while back on mine except I only ordered the 1.5" kit. They mistakenly sent me two sets of spacers for the front so I have 3" up there, but the shackles were a pain in the bootie to get on there. We disconnected the sway bar first thing up front and popped the springs in and out with a jack on the other side and one of us stepping on the axle to get clearance. Have you called RRO about the BPE fitment yet? I did and they told me they fit no problem but they'll refund me the difference minus restocking fee and shipping. Needless to say I kept the non fitting BPEs seeing as to how it would cost me more to ship them back than I'd be getting from them. Shackles look like they'll last forever though!

EDIT: I unbolted my brake lines only recently because I just disconnected the swaybar and need the extra length now. But never ran into a problem before with them. Vibes are no worse than stock, I do notice a loss in power with the 30s on it. Used to outrun a lot of cars before that keep up a lot better now...

Last edited:
I looked under my jeep and I have sensatracs......Will those be alright with 2" of lift??

I am most likey going this route for this year, until I can save up and get the 4.5" RE lift. Anyways, I want my XJ to be as close to stock as possible, so what do you spacer people suggest?

2' spacer Vs used coils of approx same lift?
AAL Vs 2" Block

and what about the shackles? looks like a pain to do, I am in the Arctic remember so there is nothing around me, and no place to do this so it will be getting done at a local garage! (install wise)

I do not want it to be el cheapo, but not want to get rapped when there are other methods to the spacer or 2" lift madness!

and I am putting away extra $$ for socks and tires!

Jeff

I'd scrap AALs and blocks, and instead go for the shackles. You'll get half inch less lift but their reuseable on the next lift, won't ride like crap like the AALs usually do and won't make axlewrap even worse like blocks will.

this sounds like me a year ago my budget boost was a pain in the ass. Welcome to NAXJA and congrats on the lift. I just pulled off my BB and put on a 5.5 Rubicon Express lift it Never stop enjoy it and things will go smoother.
Good Luck

Back