• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about Old Man Emu search option

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Why is it that I've seen numerous threads about Old Man Emu on here yet when I search for something, "Old Man Emu or OME," nothing comes up? What the hell is the deal?

88XjLaredo said:
Why is it that I've seen numerous threads about Old Man Emu on here yet when I search for something, "Old Man Emu or OME," nothing comes up? What the hell is the deal?
I bitched about the same thing, but I can't get the search to find the thread where someone set me straight, so I can't attribute the help ..
The search doesn't do 3 letter words, so you put a * after it. ome* and emu* should get you what you want.

If you have any questions, PM me. Or you could call Dirk at DPG. He is a great resource and will help you decide which OME is right for you. I completed a MD on 01. I am working on a write-up with pics as well...just can't seem to finish it all up.

There's quite a few of us running OME lifts around here - what specifically did you want to know? I've got the 3" with some small tweaks to the 'standard' spec on my 2000, so would be happy to answer any questions you've got. If you want to see the parts list, it's here - scroll down to the burgundy 2000 XJ second from the top.

I also can't recommend getting in touch with Dirk highly enough, either. He really knows OME's suspensions inside and out, and is an incredibly helpful guy to boot.

Well, I'm trying to decide if I really want to do the OME HD, but I'm having trouble justifying paying near 900.00 for a 2" lift. I want to know if it really rides better than stock or about the same. I ran the RE6030 on my 88 and it was an absolute bone-jarring ride. It got to the point where I didn't even want to drive it anymore, but it was my DD. I know I want to keep the lift small so I don't have to worry about an SYE or other things that go along with lifting it higher. Plus, most of the trails around here I could probably do stock if I had better tires, so I don't need a big lift. I wanted to know also what DPG adds to make the 2" kit a 3" for just 20 bucks more...

88XjLaredo said:
Well, I'm trying to decide if I really want to do the OME HD, but I'm having trouble justifying paying near 900.00 for a 2" lift. I want to know if it really rides better than stock or about the same.

My experience was that it was noticeably improved over stock - until I changed out the tyres. I went from Michelin LTX-M/Ses to a set of Goodyear MT/Rs taken from a TJ Rubicon. Basically, the MT/Rs are an 'E' load-rated tyre, whereas the Michelins were (IIRC) a 'C'-rated tyre. Mainly due to the extra reinforcing on the Goodyears' sidewalls, the ride became noticeably stiffer. Not that it's unliveable (and I like a firmer feel on most vehicles' ride anyway), but it is definitely noticeable.

I ran the RE6030 on my 88 and it was an absolute bone-jarring ride. It got to the point where I didn't even want to drive it anymore, but it was my DD.

Understood, but 'bone-jarring' is a subjective measurement. Not saying that it wasn't by any means, but not having driven your XJ with that lift on it I can't really draw (or give) an accurate comparison. All I can really say is that I'm very happy with both the on-road manners and off-road ability of the OME setup I currently have.

I know I want to keep the lift small so I don't have to worry about an SYE or other things that go along with lifting it higher.

Point taken. Just remember that some people need an SYE where others don't. Apart from some minor vibes from the front driveshaft at a couple of spots (something that an HP30 would likely remedy), I've had no issues that would indicate a need for one at the roughly 3.5" I'm at now. Of course, going past that point would probably change all that, but the point is that there's no hard-and-fast rule on when you do or don't need an SYE.

I wanted to know also what DPG adds to make the 2" kit a 3" for just 20 bucks more...

There's a difference in the spring specifications, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Best bet would be to call Dirk on Wednesday and see what he has to say.

I dunno if I'd be of any help but I'm running their 4" lift, got it slightly used and saved significantly, rides like a dream and kicks @$$ on the trail.

I went down and spoke with him a week or two ago since I'm in the area, great guy. I had similar questions about my TJ and he answered all of them and even got me more questions so I could do it right.

Something I didn't see noted already is to have a list of the non-oem equipment that you have or want to have ready to tell Dirk (winch bumper, rear tire carrier, and etc). That way he can help you decide what kind of ride you want AND take into account the weight difference in the front and/or rear.

That $20 for the price difference might just be the size coil springs you get. I think he mentioned sometimes they put in ZJ springs instead of XJ to get a little more lift. If Dirk doesn't pick up Andy has helped me alot too.

The front coils are ZJ coils. The rear springs of the HD lift are arched more than the MD (MD=2", HD=3").

I agree with knowing if you plan on running bumpers, winch, etc in the future. It could sway your decision one way or another.

I run BFG AT and enjoy the ride. I would say the ride is the same if not better than stock. I haven't gone offroading with it yet, but the flexability when tested on a rock pile was nice.

I have the MD on 01 and don't have any vibes.

Make sure to get the adjustable trackbar to center the axle (I have JKS, a Dirk recommendation).

Back