• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231,242 which is what? which is better?

That's a sticky question...

As I recall, the NP242 is a bit stronger (doesn't it have a six-planet input set instead of three? Someone?) and it does have the availability of the "Full-Time 4WD" mode - while the NP231 does not.

I tend to prefer letting my wife have the NP242 - she commutes more than I do, and therefore needs every advantage she can get when the weather hits out here.

Apart from that, I'm inclined to say they're roughly equal - in stock trim. It's easier to find SYE kits for the NP231 - something to bear in mind if you're doing a buildup and need to choose - and both use the same input gears, which means they'll both bolt up to the same transmissions.

Both are also rather widely used, so it should be easy to find a donor case (the principal difference being, usually, the input gear proper. Jeep used at least two - a 21-spline (early) and 23-spline (late,) and more information should be available in a general sense from either Novak Adapters or Advance Adapters.)

They also both have the same low range (2.72:1,) so this is an awfully open-ended question you're asking. Now, if you ask which is better for a specific intended use or application, we can probably give you more useful information - but this is so vague as to make the answer as inconsequential as the question... Can you narrow your question, please?

5-90

obxtuf said:
I was looking for a forum that had info these t-cases about the differs of full time and part time 4x4 which is in your opinion better

The 242 gives you both part time which means you can have 4x4 on slippery
surfaces only, and full time which means any time any place.
The 231 can only be used in the part time mode because it lacks the differential necessary to allow the front and rear axle to have some independence from each other. On hard dry surface it would cause binding and stress on the drive system.

If you only go 4x4 outdoors and like to make your XJ suffer, the 231 is all you need.
If you want the option to go 4x4 whenever you feel like, get the 242.

Back