• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler and cat glowing red

88rockxj

NAXJA Forum User
my two chamber flowmaster and my cat get extremely hot glowing red, spitting flames one time. cat is almost brand new along with muffler and i can see through the screen so its not clogged. tranny fluid level is normal , but the exhaust exits out the back of the flowmaster so could it be i need to finish the exhaust to exit out the back? my engine is running rough am i possibly not firing on one piston and getting unburnt gas down in there ? 88 xj 4.0 does it at highway speeds up hill and crawling. thanks in advance for any ideas

must be running too rich...time to start checking all the simple stuff...could be a bad O2 helping it run rich...plenty of stuff to check though...dont melt the catalyst in your cat by running it that hot...can also melt your carpet inside...at a lot of auctions people swap the 5 and 7 spark plug wires to make it run rough...can heat the cat up a lot not burning the gas in the cylinders like its supposed to.

theres no carpet its just making the glue/paint smoke on the floor, and its wet right now every where i am so no worry about fires. i think its running rich , somone mentioned that to me prior to coming here. spark plugs are on right, the rest of the exhaust up to header is clear i took that off during my tranny swap and made sure.thanks for all the suggestions ill start checking

yellowxj said:
must be running too rich...time to start checking all the simple stuff...could be a bad O2 helping it run rich...plenty of stuff to check though...dont melt the catalyst in your cat by running it that hot...can also melt your carpet inside...at a lot of auctions people swap the 5 and 7 spark plug wires to make it run rough...can heat the cat up a lot not burning the gas in the cylinders like its supposed to.

Yeah, that 7-cylinder never seems to run quite right on the 4.0l engines. :)

Red Hot Cat could be the result of a number of malfunctions including faulty oxygen sensor, an incorrect fuel mixture, worn spark plugs or plug wires, a faulty check valve, incorrect ignition timing, faulty fuel injectors, a failed fuel pressure regulator or other ignition malfunctions.

Back