• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Tow Rating '00 vs '01, 2k vs 5k ??

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
WHY does the factory publish a tow rating of 2000 lbs for the '00 XJ and 5000 lbs for the '01?

Aren't they basically IDENTICAL??

I'm asking because I do want to tow, but also, to find out if the '01 had lower gears, beefier rear diff, etc.? :cool:

Could it be one is a manual and the other is an automatic?

spacomponents said:
nope, I checked this as apples to apples, each has tow package and auto trans.

Should be exactly the same. My '01 had no different rating to my 2000.

Dzl DV8 said:
Maybe the class hitch installed?

Possibly, but the 2000/5000lb. split sounds more like the manual/automatic divide.

I have both Jeep tow rating guide in my 2000 & 2001 Jeep Book dealers information and they are both the same, 5000 lbs.

My 1990 with 4.0 engine and auto tranny is rated at 2000 lb tow capacity without tow package (2 row radiator, slightly larger alternator, external trnasmission cooler, synthetic lube in the rear axle in addition to hitch and wiring), and 5000 lb with tow package. I think my 2001 is the same. It depends on how it is equiped. Brakes are a big issue- you need trailer brakes if there is any significant weight. The OEM trailer wiring includes a blue wire (on the earlier years, at least) for electric brakes on the trailer, or surge brakes work too.

I have 4 XJ's, 90', 94', 96', 00'. All 4 are set up the same except the 96 has 4.10 gears. For whatever reason the 90' RENIX will out tow any of them, even the lower geared 96'. I tow the same bass boat with all 4. I've been told that the 1st gear ratio on the earlier AW4's is lower. The 90 does have a new engine but its all stock.

If you plan on towing anything over 2500# put brakes on it, and run a aux. tranny cooler. Some extra spring work in the rear will help handle sway and sag.

xjtrailrider said:
I have 4 XJ's, 90', 94', 96', 00'. All 4 are set up the same except the 96 has 4.10 gears. For whatever reason the 90' RENIX will out tow any of them, even the lower geared 96'. I tow the same bass boat with all 4. I've been told that the 1st gear ratio on the earlier AW4's is lower. The 90 does have a new engine but its all stock.

If you plan on towing anything over 2500# put brakes on it, and run a aux. tranny cooler. Some extra spring work in the rear will help handle sway and sag.

dont the renix models have a different cam and the peak torque is at a lower rpm than the HO engines?

89xj said:
dont the renix models have a different cam and the peak torque is at a lower rpm than the HO engines?

Yes the Renix is a better tow motor because is makes more low end grunt. The renix years also weighed a good 400lbs+ less than the newer models which helps. Curb weight for my 87 4dr Pioneer 4x4 was 3100lbs. I think my 99 is around 3500lbs

I recently towed a 16 ft long tandem axle trailer with a Ford 2N tractor on it, with a bush hog and two plow blades. I think I went over the 5000 lbs capacity. It towed ok. The trailer had not brakes, so the braking was an issue, but it towed decent unless I was going up a long hill. If you tow heavy, keep it in 3rd gear. My jeep finally rode nice. Oh ya, its an Automatic with 4:10s in the rear and 33's. The back has the HD RE 4.5" leafs and the extra weight was quite nice. With an empty gas tank and nothing in the back it feels extra stiff...

Ratings are meant to keep people from doing stupid things with their vehicles. We build machines to test hitches for Ford/GM/etc....they try to simulate going in reverse at 30 MPH with the max rated payload and slamming the transmission into drive. Your transmission will be laying on the ground, but none of the welds on your hitch will have cracked...

Last edited:
Back