• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" Lift

godplayer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be getting a 4.5" lift in Jan. and I was wondering what brand to get. Oh and I did search this topic before I posted. Anyway I have been looking at Rubicon Express and Rusty's. Which one is better? Any other brands?

While this has been covered extensively, and there will be people who will tell you to search, I'll tell you that RE is more reccomended over Rusty's any day.

But remember, you're probably going to need a SYE & Drive Shaft after that much lift.

for the lift, definately RE if you can, and since you mentioned it yourself, I assume you can afford it. As for the SYE and driveshaft... its all dependent on your Jeep. I know I am running 3.5 in w/o any t-case drop or anything and i have no vibs, going up to 4.5 or 5" next summer, and I am planning an sye, but I know a couple guys running 4.5 in w/o the SYE and they have little or no vibs. Depends on the Jeep and more specificly the year. 96+ (I belive 96 was the year) will definately need one. Earlier years may not, you might be able to get by with a T-case drop.

I have a 96 Cherokee with AW4 auto, NP242 t-case and Chysler 8.25 rear. Oh and I plan on doing a SYE to. But since I have the NP242 I can only do the hack'n'tap. Which reminds me of another question. Will a hack'n'tap for a NP231 work for the NP242? And which front driveshaft do I get. I knew at one time. Is it the Auto w/ D35 front driveshaft I should get?

BTW this isn't my first lift. I have a 92 Cherokee with 6+ inches of lift and I swapped in front and rear D44's.....

This would be my first complete kit that I didn't peice together myself.

Last edited:
I've got a 4.5" BDS lift on a 2001. Love it. Granted the XJ is a daily driver, I've had it in the suck a few times and it was great.

I would compare BDS prices as you are shopping.

I did check out BDS. I have BDS springs on my 92 XJ. They are great. I can't seem to find many places online that sell BDS. Their site says something like $1450 for the kit and that's a touch more then I wanna spend for only 4.5".

godplayer said:
I have a 96 Cherokee with AW4 auto, NP242 t-case and Chysler 8.25 rear. Oh and I plan on doing a SYE to. But since I have the NP242 I can only do the hack'n'tap.

NO! You can get a Tom Wood's kit. Unless you are going to get a used front shaft from a yard a TW kit is not that much more expensive. I have a NP242, I did a lot of research, and I went with the TW kit.

Go here and check it out: http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

love my RE 6130 4.5" lift!

12-8-06002.jpg

32s003.jpg

32s009.jpg

Back