• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what transmission

I was not sure because I thought someone said that the AX-15 was in the 91 and up so just wanted to make sure before I buy this Jeep.
my other delemna is that I can get this whole vehicle for 500.00 it is a 2wd XJ 2dr but the body is really clean it is a 4.0 I am wanting to build a 4wd is it woth it or would I be better off buying a 4wd tranny for now and just get the front diff later?
Sean

the ax-15 changeover was made mid year 1989, so it likely has an AX-15
The easy way to tell is to look at it.
The BA-10 will be split front to back
the ax-15 has three plates joined together with seams that run vertically.

You must get a 4wd transmission.
Jeeps transmissions and t-cases are married together. Making a 2wd AX-15 into a 4wd AX-15 requires taking it all apart.

thanks that clears alot up for me but would I be better off buying this whole Jeep for now or waiting to find a 4wd AX-15 and putting it in and then doing the axle later?
Sean

see above
a 2wd trans cannot be easily converted to 4wd.
the rear driveshaft would also be a different length.
you'd need the entire 4wd drivetrain to convert a 2wd to 4wd.
as to if you're better off, that's your decision, if it's clean it may be worth a body swap, but that's all subjective.
just know that if you buy a 2wd jeep you'll need another transmission to make it 4wd.

Right I understand about the tranny I just did not know how available the 4wd tranny is going to be to find so far I have not found either one I guess I should have been clearer is there any good source for these trannies?
Sean

Back