• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch and recovery

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
i dont know if this belongs here but my question is that would a 2000lb maximum weight hitch be allright for recovery? its only 60 bucks shipped and i dont think i will do much towing, it also has the nut strip that go in the frame rails.

Last edited:
I don't know the difinitive answer to that, but I wouldn't trust my frame rails to it. The Cherokee weighs over 3000 lbs and can put many times that in strain on the hitch. Especially if you are not pulling straight on.

I would just point out that the original factory class I hitch was definitely strong enough for recovery (I never got pulled out with mine, but I did some very hefty pulling out of others), but it had not only the full nut strips, but a long and very substantial reinforcing plate between the hitch and the frame. I would be hesitant to use a hitch as short as most of the light duty receiver hitches are, except in an emergency, for fear of buckling the frame. If you expect to be wheeling or yanking people out of snowbanks with regularity, spring for the heavy duty hitch.

Back