• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im stranded in a blizzard!

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Im desperatly trying to get my jeep going as weve had a massive blizzard in colorado and im stranded without my jeep in running order. I turn the key in the on position and hear the pump prime but have no radio like usual. When i turn the key to click the starter on i get nothing at all. I know something is wrong with the column as it was almost stolen but is there any way i get this thing moving without replacing anything? I know the starter and battery are good but please someone help!

Ok so your saying if i run like a 8g wire from post to post on the solenoid the starter will kick right on?Also wich posts to o jump from? i see three on the solenoid two on top with a like an 8g going to it on the left,on next to it on the right wich looks to go into the starter then on below with a single black wire

Last edited:
there should be one little wire at the selonoid. apply 12v to that with the key on and it should start, assuming you key problem is just with the start position and not also with the run position

is it indeed an 89 like your username?
if so, find the starter relay, it's a tin looking box with all the wires right behind the battery.
You will see a green wire that travels to the starter.
Get 12V to that wire, it is the starter solenoid wire.
If the solenoid is not bad this will turn over the motor.
If the pump is priming it's likely that the rest of the ignition is fine and it will start and run.
This is how I started my 87 after the dealer only start relay died.
After the storm check if the start relay is hosed, if so, pull the wire from the igniton swith and run them into a regular 4 spade light relay, that way you can get parts from any parts store for it.

Try unplugging the green wire from the starter relay (this is the wire to the solenoid) and arcing it against the large *red wire* bundle on the relay top lug (nut). This gives you good juice to the solenoid and bypasses the NSS (which grounds the starter relay). Hpefully the large red wire to the solenoid (from the battery) is whole and is making good contact.
If you still get nothing (not even a click), the green wire is broken or the starter brushes are likely sticky, sometimes a good wap with a hammer on the side of the starter will seat the brushes and get you another start or two. The hammer methode can also help loosen up a sticky Bendix or solenoid.
Make darned sure the tranny is in park and/or the parking brake is on and it's out of gear in a stickshift. People get a little frantic and bad things happen.

Last edited:
Back