• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max tire height on a stock XJ ? ?

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody tell me tallest tire you've been able to fit on a stock XJ? I'm planning my build on a 2000 4dr 4x4, but plan to initially run the tallest tire I can cram onto stock or aftermarket wheels, until I'm ready to do the mods I ultimately want.

thanks! :geek:

spacomponents said:
Anybody tell me tallest tire you've been able to fit on a stock XJ? I'm planning my build on a 2000 4dr 4x4, but plan to initially run the tallest tire I can cram onto stock or aftermarket wheels, until I'm ready to do the mods I ultimately want.

People have been able to get 30" tyres under there on stock rims and suspension. However, unless you like watching fuel economy (like an XJ has any to begin with) and performance go down the toilet, hold off until you can regear. I didn't do this before going from a stock 215/75R16 to 31s with 3.55:1 gearing, and figure that what I've spent in gas going from 16-18mpg around town down to about 12-13mpg probably would've paid for gears by now. Next major upgrade's going to be gears, rear axle, and rear discs as a result of fuel prices climbing back towards $3/gallon again.

Last edited:
Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Aside from that...

I've got 235/75/15's on my '98. They measure out to about 29x9.25. I can flex all I want and they just tuck right up into the wheelwells. Don't have to worry about scrubbing when turning or flexing or both. Also, I have flat leaves on the rear too.

DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

30's are the tallest tire that you can put on a stock xj w/ out having clearance issues- I think part of the fuel mileage problem is that your speedo will be off a few mph, but after putting 30's on my stock jeep it definately felt like it had a lack of power (feels like losing about 20hp). If I don't lift it this spring I'm just going to buy some 215/75r15 or 235/75r15 mud terrains when my 30x9.5s wear out

autocrossxj said:
I think part of the fuel mileage problem is that your speedo will be off a few mph

Not if you change out the speedo drive gear and check the new readings against your GPS ;) I'm typically off by about 0.5-1.5mph fairly steadily across the speed range compared to the GPS, so the measured fuel economy loss is very real.

thanks, good comments. I ran 235/75-15's for years on my Commando and CJ and they did the job well. Ran up and down the Con with them, but back then we did a lot more winching that guys do now.

I had 245/75/16's on my 99 w/ no lift, and they fit the rears had some rub issues but not very much. I have since put a 1in. home brew lift on and they never touch. Stock jeep wheels from a ZJ(TSI) if your wondering the BS. JOE>

wow, Joe, that's a 30.6-30.7 inch tire! surprised you don't have more interference when really flexing and turning at the front.

maybe I'll have to get those ZJ wheels

spacomponents said:
wow, Joe, that's a 30.6-30.7 inch tire! surprised you don't have more interference when really flexing and turning at the front.

maybe I'll have to get those ZJ wheels

ZJ Wheels are the same backspacing as your wheels. Personally I didn't notice any real difference is power by going up to 30's on stock gearing. Probably made up that 20 hp loss from the K&N Intake :laugh3: Don't know about mileage as didnt do anything to correc the difference though.

sorry bout the triple post my computer is a piece of shit... anyway I say about 20hp because I raced my buddies auot sonoma highrider and right before i got 30s i won bay 4 car lenghts at 60mph, 1 week later after 30's we raced again and i only won by 1 car length at sanm speede my jeep has the aw4 so driving wasn't a factor or traction (neither spun the tires) and i did notice about a 4mpg dif, after calculating gearing prob 3.5mpg.

well, thanks for all the replies. it seems like maybe one way to go is to compromise at 245/70-16's (29.5") and work on suspension flex, sway bar disconnects, better flexing rear shackles or Z-boxes and flexing front control arms?

or am I wrong and this buys you nothing? :eye:

K&N air filters are bad unless you run with the extra sock. If you want to get a K&N, just save yourself some $$ and make yourself a home made version by taking off your air cleaner and dumping fine sand into your intake.

If you go with a K&N you will be doing just that, putting fine sand into your engine as it will not stop the fine grit. I know, I use to run a K&N until I discovered the truth.

I'm running a set of rubicon moabs on my stocker. I believe they are 30.5. Rubs just a little on the front passenger bumper cap when turning a hard left. After they wear about 10% that should stop.

Now I haven't been offroad yet, but i bet it will rub a lot more then.

Here is my 90' DD with 30x9.50 BFG AT KO on 8" canyons. I don't wheel this one but just playing around with it and driving it, no rubs at all. No noticable power loss. I tow the trailer behind it when its loaded with 2k# worth of commercial mowers and I also tow a 3100# bass boat with no problems.

Its all stock, I'm finishing up a restoration on it, just needs paint now.

Here is a pic.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/958/90newestle1.jpg

Last edited:
Back