• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convoy Mech. In middle East Needs Advice

RaiderX7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. My name is Senior Airman DaRosa. I am a convoy Mech. in the Airforce in kuwait. My detachment does convoys into Iraq. I am running into a problem with some lights and was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. We recently installed Extra Lights on all our Trucks. They are called Go Lights and what makes them specail is that they are Joystick operated. They come with 2 motors for up down and left and right. But the problem is these lights suck ass. They keep braking on us like crazy and when it rains. These lights get a mind of thier own and go grazy. The wireing isnt weather proof and these things are expensive too. I am getting sick and tired of fixing these stupid lights. I told my senior master Sergant that i might be able to find some better lights to stick on the trucks. He said he was open to any sugestions. Thats where you guys come in. In the great world off off road. i know alot of you guys have extra lights and stuff and that these lights are ment for off road abuse. I need some lights that can be controled from in the cab and can take the abuse of rough roads, sand storms, Rain, and anything else Iraq and Insurgants can throw at them. These Lights Cant be Wireless remote controlled. Our jammers will fuck them all up. And price is not a concern. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I looked at companys like KC and Piaa but didnt look to indepth yet. Well thats it. Ill be hoping for a response. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Yours Truley
Senior Airman Darosa
Proud 99 XJ owner

I'm looking around, I remember seeing something designed for BAJA race trucks at one point. Couldn't you eliminate the extra stuff and just go with police style windshield lights? You can control them from in the cab with ease and they are proven.

btw:Thanks for serving, we all appreciate it!

The problem with teh police lights is the armor on the trucks are Thick as hell and we are not allowed to drill holes in the armor so we wont compromise the armors integraty(yea i know i cant spell)

I checked out those lights. They look bad ass but thier not movable. My troops are using these to scan the roads for bombs and stuff. They alos use them to scan bridges and areas for insurgents. Thats why i am having trouble find a good set of lights

You dont have to thank me. Just doing my job.

calrification,
12V or 24V system?
Wired or wireless remote?
You say you're unable to pierce the armor(obviously for troop safety), but are there grommets that you can run the remote wire through that are already existing?
Wired makes more sense from a reliability point of view.
Have you narrowed down what the problem with the Go Lights are?
If the base is sealed and the mechanicals are good then I would take a serious look at modifying them to be more rugged.
Some new wire, some milspec connectors and a generous use of marine grade epoxy to seal up the housings and they may be great.

Edit:
A few more questions.
Which golight model is it?
http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html
I'm looking at the manual for one and it's pretty scarce about technical details, but they do say weatherproof.
However, it says mountinf them upside down voide the warranty, probably because it allows water to enter the housing.
Are yours mounted upside down?

Last edited:
The sand out there brings a whole new meaning to 'weather proof', especially when it comes to moving things like remote controlled lights with gears and bearings. Marine grade equipment would be the best bet, but the problem is the amount of sand thats everywhere, even in the rain that falls. I've seen the vehicles that get shipped back to Tobyhanna army depot for rebuilding after a year over there and it's not a pretty sight.
If there is anyway you can eliminate the moving part I would suggest 4 banks of lights, one bank on each side and front rear. 4" wide velcro and use the footman loops for added security to hold them in place.
Another option might be to use a roof mounted spot that could be controlled from inside though I does entail a hull prenetration of about 2" diameter, those type are manual.

I have installed the white model 2020 go lights on a boat before, I definately wouldn't reccomend them in the desert sand environment.

I will search to find a solution.

What about the good old plug in hand held deer spotting lights you can aim them from in the armored cab and dont have to deal with wiring. Its what we used. It also works good when you drop somethin in the cab or if you break down.
Hurry back I know it sucks. If you come to spang in Germany PM me we will have a beer. Derka Derka

also talk to your aviation guys, specially the helo guys. we have search lights that are controlled by a joystick. u might want to go bug em and see if they have any extras around.

ive got a solution why dont you use headlights for driving/a spotlight for spotting/ and a taclight for kicking in doors keep it simple soldier

Last edited:
obxtuf said:
ive got a solution why dont you use headlights for driving/a spotlight for spotting/ and a taclight for kicking in doors keep it simple soldier

That involves physically holding a target. besides, he's in the airforce, they don't physically do anything, there are buttons and joysticks for getting stuff done.

76534561AhARKV_fs.jpg

abrams_006.jpg

Toss a marine grade one on there, and have fun on 40route

goodburbon said:
That involves physically holding a target. besides, he's in the airforce, they don't physically do anything, there are buttons and joysticks for getting stuff done.

Hey man I'm in the Chair Force to, that just wasn't right..........

Scarry as it sounds we have actually come out from behind the desk in the last 3-4 years or so. The original poster is a prime example of the USAF being on the front, instead of "in the rear with the gear".

I'll ask my helo buddy to see if he can come with anything for lights. He's a gunner so he may have something.

Back