• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer chain test

72charger

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 sport with a NP231 makes a grinding noise in 4H, not really in 4lo and not in 2wd. After searching the threadsI think its a stretched chain, I see some threads talk about performing a chain stretch test, is this just taking the old one out and checking the lateral play? IF so, whats teh tolerance? How else do I check it? I thought maybe tehre was some method that didnt involve pulling the transfer case apart. Thanks for you help.
PS- I am partly considering just putting in a "new" used case form the boneyard, as I think I can get one for free or really cheap. Anyone have an idea what a good price from teh junk yard should be for a complete one, with less than 150K miles on it (I pull vs they pull?) My case has a slow leak as it is, so thats why I am considering goign this route,
- what are otehr tolerances I should check for inside?- those little plastci sliders? ect?
I plan on obviously checkig the "new" used chain for play too. thanks again!

I'm having the same problem with mine, my chain slips a tooth and makes a horrible pop,clunk sound

What I've read is raise rear wheels put transfercase in neutral and listen to T.C. if chain is streched you can hear it rub aginst case.

I'm personally going to look into replacing chain with HD wide chain J.B. Conversions sells one. $300 I think. I think I've also read np242 uses the wider chain and cogs, but i'm still researching. oh yeah HD 32 spline output shaft is another great upgrade.

My front transfer output shaft has worn bearings and it makes a grinding sound (actually more of a low pitched roar). I've had stretched chains, make a god awfull popping chunk chunk chunk sound as they skipped a few gear teeth. A roar or grinding sound could be a bearing.
Just for the heck of it check your hubs. The sound travels through the drivetrain, many guys have gotten the transfer and the hubs crosed up when trying to chase down a grinding sound. A grinding hub can sound like it is coming from very near you sitting inthe drivers seat. I knew a guy that changed out his rear axle bearings, when the sound was coming from the rear transmission bearing. The sound travels and it will fool you.
When my last hub was going out (it made a grinding sound), I was almost certain the noise I was hearing was the transfer, I was wrong.
Put the transfer in neutral and turn the front output shaft (remove the front driveshaft). You will be turning the chain with almost no load, you may be able to feel if it turns rough or slaps on something.

Last edited:
Back