• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Transmission mount

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with an AX15. It seems as though I need to change my transmission mount whenever i change my underwear. (Quite often, at least three times in two years) Does anyone know of a heavy duty transmission mount capable of handling my desire to tromp the gas every other stop light?

I see two options...

1) Use poly. Poly mounts for the AX-15 should be readily available, and tend to hold up better than elastomer.

2) Go solid. Have a mount machined from solid steel, paint it, and install it. NOTE - you will get a LOT more vibration transmitted through the chassis! I've done this with higher-end bracket racers, but they were "strip only" rigs that weren't driven on the street. They held up neatly, but there were times it was like riding a paint shaker...

5-90

I am going to waste my second post on a stupid, smart remark. My advice is...Change your underwear more often!!:laugh3:

5-90, if you use solid tranny mounts shouldnt you use solid engine mounts, too?.... i have heard somebody say you cant use one solid and one rubber or you can possibly damage something perhaps a bellhousing...it was a thread about somebody who made a homemade crossmember....maybe i am mis remembering, tho

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
5-90, if you use solid tranny mounts shouldnt you use solid engine mounts, too?.... i have heard somebody say you cant use one solid and one rubber or you can possibly damage something perhaps a bellhousing...it was a thread about somebody who made a homemade crossmember....maybe i am mis remembering, tho

-Tim

I've mixed them on strip vehicles - but yes, if you're going to go solid, you should do the job right.

Advantages to going solid are few - essentially, you'll be eliminating the "rubber" bit that tends to fail, and you'll pick up some slight power (because you do lose a little due to engine vibration in a semi-rigid mount,) but you're going to feel, as I'd mentioned, like you're riding a paint shaker... Kinda gets old after a bit, y'know?

5-90

buy better quality stock mounts.

I have a poly mount that will work on your AX-15. If you want to run it, you need to get hard motor mounts too, rawbrown or MORE.

PM me and I'll make you a deal on the poly one. I rode in a rig that had one before installing mine, and decided I'd rather just change my mounts every 6 months than have to live with that. ;)

-C

I have used hose clamps simply wrapped around the rubber aprt of the mount to all but prevent the rubber ripping apart. The mount is now basically a "semi-solid" mount, as the rubber still absorbs the vibes from the drive train, and the hose clamp minimizes the torque load that pulls the rubber apart. Not bad for less than $2.50! Oh, and this is an old school drag racer trick that actually works.

Back