• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide what to do with rear bumpstop - exhaust in the way

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with an RE 5.5" lift, probably about 6 inches or so in the rear.

I have an Aero Tank 30 gallon fuel tank, so I had to get my exhaust rerouted. The 2.5" pipe was routed over the passenger leaf spring, and cut short. Worked great without any rear bumpstops (factory ones removed).

I ordered a DPG Offroad adjustable rear bump stop kit, and installed it. That's when I noticed I didnt have any factory rear stops mounted on and my exhaust will now be in the way, since the pipe went through the leaf over the U bolts.

So I had the exhaust rerouted once again, this time there is a 90* bend around the tank, and it follows it closely to right under my rear bumper.

The only problem now with mounting the factory bump stop to work with my DPG kit is the factory one is too long, about a 1/4" too long to be mounted, since the exhaust is in the way again. If I trimmed 1/4" of the rubber bump stop material off, it would just barely be touching the exhaust. So I figure I would need to cut at least 3/4", or maybe even 1" of the factory bump stop to get proper clearance for the exhaust.

Am I going to have any issues with going this route? And does anyone have any better ideas?

images

cut off the exhaust.. what problem

JLane99XJ said:
images

cut off the exhaust.. what problem

Well if I cut it at the 90* bend around the tank it would exit right at the bump stop. If I cut it before the tank and the bend, it would echo off of the tank. Both ways I'm pretty sure it would sound like garbage, especially the latter.

Guys I have an aftermarket fuel tank, about 32 gallons, it's huge. There is no room to route the exhaust anywhere but where it is now. I cant have the exhaust hanging low.. I wheel this rig.

I need to change the bumpstop not the exhaust......

Have you tried calling Dirk yet (owns DPG). I went down to talk with him this weekend when his shop was closed. If he doesn't pick up one of the other guys will. Hopefully they can give you some ideas. I know one of their projects is a new Rear bumper for XJ's, so I'm betting they have most everything fresh in their head.

Wouldn't hurt to snap some pictures of what you have so they can look at them while you talk about fixes.

I'd just cut the bumpstop like you're thinking, what would it hurt? It would just make the area of the bumpstop smaller and compress a little more, which you might even like if it's softer.

No way do a turn down under the rig, when on the trail it will just blow dust up....been there, done that, and I didn't like it, nor did the guys who had to walk past the rig.

How much flex in the rear should I have? I have the RE4.5 full leaf pack springs and the 1" block (whatever comes in the RE5.5LA kit). I have all 3 of the DPG plates installed. On the drivers side, with the factory bump stop in place there is only about 3, maybe 3.5 or 4 inches of room before the bump stop hits the DPG plates.

How much can I flex these springs without prematurely wearing them out? I still have another inch or two to go before the tire would contact the trimmed fender. But then again I can't tell how much the factory stops will actually compress, so maybe it's OK?

Most of the time you don't even use the bumpstops when flexing, you use the bumpstops when bottoming out on big bumps heading out to the trail or at speed on dirt roads. The suspension will compress much more on a good bump than it will when flexing on the trail. Bumpstops are tuned/positioned for the bumps, not the flex. Axle wrap is what will wear out the rear leaves prematurely, they can handle any flex.

Jason-RJR said:
do a 90* turn down after the muffler.

Ditto

out of the muffler and 90* DOWN --point it at the ground..

unless you're drivin a Lowered big-PimPin LTD edition XJ then it wOn't matter if it blow up a little dust when you tach up da 4.0

Goatman said:
Most of the time you don't even use the bumpstops when flexing, you use the bumpstops when bottoming out on big bumps heading out to the trail or at speed on dirt roads. The suspension will compress much more on a good bump than it will when flexing on the trail. Bumpstops are tuned/positioned for the bumps, not the flex. Axle wrap is what will wear out the rear leaves prematurely, they can handle any flex.

How much room should I leave between the DPG plates and the factory bump stops then? Right now there is 3 inches.

Back