• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much work in a D44 swap

95meangreen

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at doing a front D44 swap because its gonna be an ass load to upgrade my d30. How much would i have to modify it from a TJ or Waggy? Also is there any other Vehicle that would be easier?

A LOT

TJ 44's have resoundingly been deemed not worth the $$ to swap in. Long story short; it's a half ass dana 30/44 hyprid with most of the same weak ass parts as the 30. SEARCH and you'll find a lot on this.

Waggy's are leaf sprung; you have to grind off the old perches, weld on CA, Trac bar, spring perches, shock mounts and in the end you still have the same U-joints as a 30.

YellowXJ on this board did successfully pretty much bolt in a unit bearing Dodge LP D60. This would not be a viable street option, I believe his truck is trail-only.

In summation, the search button is our friend.

TheBlackSheep said:
wow thats ridiculous... i wish i could spend the money on that truss from tnt but i guess its just my buddies me and a welder for this project
doing it that way - it cost me about 1500 to put a d44 with stock shafts, stock gears and low steering, an aussie locker, all new bearings and brake parts into my rig...

there is more than just the axle brackets to the swap...

Brake Calipers
Brake Rotors
Hubs
U-joints
Steering
Trackbar
Brake Lines
Wheel Bearings
Differential Bearings
Axle Seals
Wheels and Rims
Front driveshaft

all of that should be replaced or at least looked at very closely when using a junkyard part...

after getting all that in, and running it for 1 year, ive also bought:
Diff Cover
Alloy Shafts
Numerous spare OEM shafts
2 trackbars and another trackbar mount
another brand new set of hubs

and im about to drop another grand and buy some real steering - all the way from the steering box to the high steer knuckles to the high steer arms to the hydro ram to the TRE's...

and in the near future, im going to need another set of alloy shafts as spares...

I think when im all said and done and ready to run 35's, ill have 4000+ into it...

and it all started with a "killer deal on a $175 axle" :jackoff:

Last edited:
Back