• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS vs Full Traction

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide between the full traction 6" LA kit and the 6.5" BDS LA kit I was wondering what your guys opinions were on the two lifts. On and Offroad handling, flex and comfort.

I don't know how many people you will find on here that have used both lifts, but I recently installed the FT LA lift and am very happy with it. That being said, the directions are lacking and if this is your first LA lift like it was mine, its damn frustrating. The kit is very complete except for re-using the original UCA arm bushings and bolts on the axel (which I felt I needed to replace). Handeling wise, it is excellent at speed off-road and I've had the thing close to 90 on the freeway and it felt very stable. Flex is great for everything I need, but others will have a better idea of that capability as I avoid rocks as much as possible. From most searches I was able to conclude people loved the geometry of the FT lift kit for pre-running and going fast off road and how that complemented its on road manners (or the other way around if you prefer) That was the reason i bought the lift and I can testify that it does well with that kind use.

BDS makes a nice looking package but is fairly expensive. Like 1K more... I've been researching lifts for a long time and you have opened up a can of worms wth this thread..LOL.

If you searched it you will find all you need to know about the FT lift but I haven't seen a lot about the BDS.

The first response to this thread is right on the money. Other than, I have seen how well this lift flexes and it's very impressive! I have heard that the ride is like driving a Cadillac with the right shocks. I'd recommend Bilstein 5150 front and 5125 in the rear. I wouldn't waste your money on anything else

PS. My FT 6" Longarm will be here after Christmas :cheers:

Good luck

Thanks for the help, I tried searching but I didn't find anything on the BDS lift. Here in Edmonton one of the local shops is selling both of these lifts for $2400 Canadian so its kind of a toss up for me right now.

Oil Town XJ said:
Thanks for the help, I tried searching but I didn't find anything on the BDS lift. Here in Edmonton one of the local shops is selling both of these lifts for $2400 Canadian so its kind of a toss up for me right now.
If he's selling them both for the same price, I say go with the BDS kit. I have their 3" on mine and it's pretty nice. Plus, it has a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. If you break any component you call them, mail it in, and you get a new part free. Hope that helps...

Oil Town XJ said:

X2
For the same money I'd also do the BDS. I like the crossmember set up a lot better.
On a side note, do you have a web site or any information for the "Local Shop" there in Edmunton?

98XJROKS said:
X2
For the same money I'd also do the BDS. I like the crossmember set up a lot better.
On a side note, do you have a web site or any information for the "Local Shop" there in Edmunton?

The shop is called rapid revolutions and their website is
http://www.rapidrevolutions.com/pages/home

Another vote for full-traction. Ive run this kit on my 89 for about 6 months and love every mile of it. With the right shocks to fit your expectations of ride quality its very cozy ride, even my daily driver. The kit has great flexability but not just droop,uptravel is great and you WILL need to trim for tire clearance. At speed everything feels together and very very stable. Unlike BDS,full-traction uses hard ends that are a little noisy compared to a rubber or poly bushing but they dont bother me too much and provide the articulation i want/need. As far as explaining the flex of this kit, i run 30" extended shocks and 33's with the extended brake lines that were in the kit and also drop brakets for the lines, I need to invest in limiting straps becasue i can take the coil out if need be at full droop.Take your time when making this kind of choice,look at some other brands and see what everyone has to offer. Happy wheeling :)

No experience with the BDS longarm kit, but I am currently runnning BDS's 3" kit and love it. Works very well. I just picked up a set of BDS 1" shackles and a spacer Im going to be adding.
Xmas20063-1.jpg

Back