• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/Ts in the snow

Standard block-tread MT's will be terrible in the snow. You get the best traction by having some snow get packed in the tire and staying there (snow/snow grips better than rubber/snow).

I had Trxus MT's on mine for a while and they were terrific in the snow - the stepped blocks w/siping really helped grip a lot better than just plain blocks.

Tire chains my good friend. They will do more for you than lockers or any "snow tire" in the world. They just take a little practice putting them on in the cold.

You can get two pair of decent chains at walmart for about 100 bucks. Its a very good investment. Don't forget to pick up the 4 big tighteners (they are more like big rubber bands).

When I used to run BFG MT's, I took them in and got them siped at @ 50% tread - world of difference. In fact, I think my siped MT's had better snow/ice performance than the BFG AT's that came after...

MT's are not snow tires and they actually kinda suck in the snow. One of my customers who is a mailwoman drives a 06TJ w/r hand drive, OME lift, she just put her winter tires on, white keystone steels with 31" BFG AT/KO's and all 4 are studded. Her husband about flipped out when he came home on friday, the whole bottom of their newly paved this summer driveway is chewed up from her making a hard left hand turn on the angled driveway when she leaves in the morning and a hard right hand turn when she gets home at nite to turn into the garage, think Z shaped from garage to road Forgot to mention, she got the D44 with the LSD in it so that does not help matters but she has no more issues on ice thats for sure, on ice it drives like it's on rails :D
She did the MT's on the 01TJ, she keeps trying to sell them to me, they got about 400mi on them, she got them figuring with those monster lugs they'd be good winter tires, they were off of there after the first snowstorm and the factory GSA's were back on.. She was so embarrased having to get her TJ towed out of a snow bank she thought she'd never live it down..

Last edited:
vetteboy said:
Standard block-tread MT's will be terrible in the snow. You get the best traction by having some snow get packed in the tire and staying there (snow/snow grips better than rubber/snow).

I had Trxus MT's on mine for a while and they were terrific in the snow - the stepped blocks w/siping really helped grip a lot better than just plain blocks.

Siping.... That is my next step.
Will be borrowing one from the race crew I belong to.
They don't have much use for it this time of year.

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I will take them off and get them sipped this afternoon. I have a set of peerless A/Ts I could put on but the only issue is they are 28s and they look hysterical on a lifted xj

I have no qualms with my BFG MT's in snow/ice. Let me pose a question to the folks who don't like the winter characteristics...what width are you running? anything over 10.50 is too wide, not enough contact pressure. Unless the snow is really deep, 2 feet or more, then a flotation tire will work. Under 2 feet, skinny is the way to go.:lecture:

Sipe 'em. I ran 33'' KM's for 3 winters, they were scary at first without them siped. Once I siped them they were better than anything that I have used. They were great for deep powder with the lugs and with the siping they did awesome on hard packed and decent on ice, but nothing is great on ice. It's worth a try, these were 33x11.5, no complaints after siping.

It all depends on the type of snow: light and fluffy, wet and compacting, wet and icy, fluffy and icy underneath, etc.... Millions of variables. BFG AT's have done better than the MT's for me in the snow, but siped, the MT's arren't bad at all.

It's easy to do, just a razor knife and 2 hours of time (30 minutes each), and I did the most of the way through the outside lugs too. A lot of people just do the center two, that would be quicker.

Well I have no troubles in the snow, but we rarely get much. But when I used to drive in alot of snow, as soon as the first bit of snow fell I would load my snow tires in the back, they already had my chains put on them. Its alot easier and quicker and more comfortable to change the tires with the chains already on them than to put chains on.

If you stay more on the road for the winter , get some winter tires. I got some cheap ones at wal-mart 235/75/15 for 60$cdn. The big thing with snow and winter tire is not only the tread. The rubber is different. the cheapest winter tire will out perform the most advance regular tire during cold the cold season. Winter tires are softer, grab the ground better. regular MT will get hard like glass and wont be good. In the summer wider is good but in the winter, wide tires are also dangerous. Since the footprint is larger, less weight per inch. So if you dont need 31 or 33s for the winter, run 225 or 235.

I speak for me here cuz here in Canada, it get realy cold, -25C, some times, so they make a difference. We use celsius here and converted it must be... -173F, I'm not sure. hope this helps.

Frankkl said:
I speak for me here cuz here in Canada, it get realy cold, -25C, some times, so they make a difference. We use celsius here and converted it must be... -173F, I'm not sure. hope this helps.

Fawk man; -173F! That's cold. I thought it was bad when it was -45C/-45F here.

Anyways, my BFG M/Ts turned into ultra-hard peices of shit in the snow/ice and cold. No traction. I siped them and then I started chunking the treads. Apparently they don't like how I drive.

Its just my Celsius conversion thats a little off. Yours is a good exemple.

Winter tires = good investment. The provicial government if even looking at the possibilty of making them mandatory. I dont think it will work but I wish it would be for commercial vehicules. I had to rent some cars for work in the past years and I was on the road alot during winter the stu%^&id rent-acar place would never have cars with good tires. I buy these tire for my safety at home and when I need a car for work, I get a crapy all season.

By the way all season tires are not ALL Season they are made for when All season are the same.

I have had no problem with my M/T in the snow. I have had them in 2' of frozen show and 2' of powder. No problems at all, they have performed great for me.

Back