• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the MAP sensor? ~ '97 XJ

heapxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where it is? 4.0L The Jeep likes to buck and sputter ocassionally so I think it might be that. Probably should check for codes first though but I have a parts Jeep so I want to try this first. Thanks guys - Ben

I've got similiar problems right now, mainly because I sunk her up to seat level. I got the bucking, sputter, super rough idle, and black smoke when I stomp on the gas.

I'm curious to see if replacing the MAP works for you. I replaced my downstream O2 and am about to replace the upstream O2, hoping that does it for me....

It's mounted on the throttle body, on the left side (closest to the master cylinder).

THalladay said:
I've got similiar problems right now, mainly because I sunk her up to seat level. I got the bucking, sputter, super rough idle, and black smoke when I stomp on the gas.

I'm curious to see if replacing the MAP works for you. I replaced my downstream O2 and am about to replace the upstream O2, hoping that does it for me....

your upstream o2 is your problem, if it goes bad the engine runs full rich, causing your black smoke, you'll probaly need to change spark plugs too

xjbrian219 said:
your upstream o2 is your problem, if it goes bad the engine runs full rich, causing your black smoke, you'll probaly need to change spark plugs too

You're almost entirely right. I had to replace both O2 sensors, I replaced plugs for kicks, and I had to replace the fuse controlling the O2 sensor heaters as that was blown as well (took alot of OBD2 scanning to realize that one)

Runs great now!

Back