• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy 8.8 Brakes?

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
After reading the disk brakes thread I remembered my own problem with my 8.8. They are noisy. I have cleaned them a few times taken them off put them back on, lots of things, but they are still noisy. When I lightly push on the brakes they sorta moan loud. They don't really squeak but moan when I apply brake. Is there a way to adjust them? The pads are good. I think the explorer only had about 60k on it when I pulled the axle. Any Ideas?

disc brakes dont really need adjustment.
i dont have rear discs on my xj, but my volvo did. maybe the parking brake pads need adjusment?
other than that, i would suggest new pads would be the the only thing i have had make noise on a disc setup

-Tim

I have the exact same problems! I am leaning towards the cheap as can be pads I bought because the project went over budget lol. Everything is in perfect working order so I am going to swap the pads soon and see what happens. I posted something on an Explorer forum and didn't get shit for replies....but I did tell them it was under an XJ :D

moaning sounds like the pads are glazed over.
Have the rotors turned and put decent pads on there, the noise will likely go away.

Back