• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing tcase!!

fisher446

NAXJA Forum User
could someone give me a runthrough on how to change a transfer case. How to take old one out and put the new one in. Step by step??!! any writeups?? thanks ill be doin this tomorrow.

sorry i had to.it really literally is that easy though.take a pic of every angle of the t-case so you have a reference.i have never done it but saw a write up on it (which was pointless)if you can change u joints and can lift30-50 pounds laying down then you can do it.:peace:

holy shit, you should really think of going into the book writing business. Im sure you could find a publisher that is willing to give you a boot in the ass for that write up. lol

Remove both driveshafts
Drain t-case.
Support transmission
Remove crossmember
Disconnect shifter linkage - IIRC the first joint in front of the t-case popsout of the socket. I pulled my tranny at the same time so went a little more in-depth than this.
Unplug the 4wd indicator switch - it's over the front output yoke area
Unplug (or remove) the Vehicle Speed Sensor - it's on the rearoutput.

I'm sure there's a vent line to worry about in there somewhere.
Lower transmission slightly to allow access to the top bolt; you need access to both sides of that one.
Support the t-case and remove (six?) bolts from around the circumference.
Remove.
Reinstall in reverse.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Do not forget to chock your damn wheels, and don't do this on a hill!!!!! Once you remove those drive shafts, your Jeep may roll freely. If your parking brake is adjusted and works, it will help, but grab a couple of wooden blocks for the tires. You don't want to run over yourself.

It is as easy as they say. I have very little wrenching time under my belt, and i easily did the job. It took me about 8 hours total...But I am learning so i am ok with it.

If you are changing T-Cases make sure that you have the exact one needed for your jeep. I found that for my 96, i could only use a 96 t-case to swap in, because of spline count.

Good Luck!!!

PBen

flash2pablo said:
If you are changing T-Cases make sure that you have the exact one needed for your jeep. I found that for my 96, i could only use a 96 t-case to swap in, because of spline count.
Should have been a 91+ available for use - because you needed 23-spline, not the earlier 21-spline.

Although if you kept the stock slip-yoke and didn't switch it between t-cases you would have wanted a 96+ for the sealed slipyoke they used.

Back